“Exceptional food and service!”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 5,741 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Exceptional food and service!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We made a reservation at the first date we could for the night we wanted. We arrived early and planned to have a drink at the bar. Unfortunately, their bar is very small and only seats about 13, and there isn't much room to stand in the bar area. A bigger bar area is definitely needed. We were seated at our reservation time. The service here was exceptional throughout the meal! Water glasses were never empty and bread was always replenished. The waiter provided details about the menu and was very polite and professional. The risotto and cheese presentation were both delicious. The lobster and pork entrees were outstanding. The strawberry souffle and chocolate panache were fantastic. After our meal they brought out a small plate with about 9 chocolates, and then offered to box it up for us since we had dessert already. There was no rush to finish and there was just enough time between courses. As an aside, there is a lot of blanquette seating here, so if you do not like sitting too closely to strangers, make sure they are aware of this on your reservation. Overall, it lived up to the hype and should not be missed while visiting.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank flalove2travel

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Barcelona, Spain
“Great food and service”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I had a late seating in Gary Danko. This restaurant was highly recommended by 3 different friends, and after my meal I would also recommend this establishment because of the amazing food, service and wine carte.
I had the lobster risotto and the buffalo, both exquisite! We washed down our meal with a bottle Calera Mills, mt. Harlan Pinot noir 1988. Amazing! The decor could be seen as a bit dated , but everything is kept in tip top shape, and wonderfully clean. A culinary must in San Fran.

• Visited October 2013
Chandigarh
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

One place where the food and ambience are both very good. Upmarket gourmet formal dining.
The staff was exceptional. There is a choice of three, four or five course menu. The first course of starters and the second course were exceptional. They messed up the main course but were very apologetic about it.The dessert made up for the main course. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

• Visited July 2013
Danville, California
“Excellent Dining Experience”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

After getting a reservation 3 months in advance, Husband & I dined here for our 25th wedding anniversary, and it did not disappoint. It's a darkish restaurant; elegant, but not overly fancy. Not being alcohol imbibers, we were pleasantly surprised to see several non-alcoholic choices available. We opted for the French cider and were very pleased with it. After much deliberation, we each decided on the 4 course menu, which was worth the price--I think about $90. We needed quite a long time to peruse the menu since there were at least 10 selections in every category.I've never taken so long to order in my life! Our waiter helped us choose by making many helpful suggestions. The dungeness crab salad with melon was to die for! Also delicious were the ahi and coconut Thai curry. We were a little disappointed with the seared beef, which my husband decried as being rather bland. Also, my guinea hen was good, but I didn't care so much for the tortilla espanola accompanying it since I grew up eating my Spanish friend's mother's tortilla. Hers is better. I wouldn't call these dishes complete missteps; I just think they weren't for us. Or perhaps Gary Danko doesn't excel at meat/poultry dishes, but everything else is fabulous. Dessert was absolutely delicious, which surprised me, because I so so often find that desserts look good but disappoint in flavor. Not these. Husband claimed the chocolate souffle was the best he ever ate. My parfait was scrumptious! With dessert, our waiter also brought us a beautiful little anniversary cake with candle. A nice touch is the upside down cake presented at the end of the meal. Service was excellent, from the moment we sat down to when we left and my coat was ready and waiting, plus the car was already out front for us. Yes it's expensive, but not considering the quality, innovation, and service.We'll be back as soon as we can.

• Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A whole lot of hoopla about nothing special”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I don't know what the big deal is about this place, i mean, yes the food is most definitely good but damn, to mention this place in the same breath as The French Laundry is outrageous! Not even close...

• Visited September 2013