“Good choice for a special occasion”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 5,857 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The four of us (two couples) met there to celebrate our friend's birthday. I think overall the place was good for it. The service was impeccable. We all chose a three meal course. It seemed everyone enjoyed their choice. I must say however that I thought there was a little too much vinegar in the tuna tartar and Branzini was good but not spectacular. The sommelier suggested a very good bottle of wine - Favia 2009 which at the price of $338 was well worth it. If I lived in San Francisco I would have considered this restaurant for special occasions only.

1  Thank europetraveler39
Write a ReviewReviews (2,324)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

After reading the highly rated reviews for the Gary Danko restaurant my husband wanted to book a table for us to dine here whilst travelling the west coast on our honeymoon. Reservations had to be made 2 months in advance to secure a table - we did this via email with no problems at all. They were very communicative with us a couple of days before our reservation, sending us emails to remind of us our date and time and called the day before to re confirm our reservation. We arrived 45 minutes early so that we could enjoy a cocktail before dinner and managed to be seated 30 minutes early. All staff were extremely friendly and couldn't do enough for you. First class service, food and ambience. We definitely received had the 'special' evening that we were hoping for and as we informed them prior to our arrival that we were celebrating our honeymoon we were surprised with an additional mini dessert and mini sweet treats. A must do experience if you are in town and have a special occasion that you would like to celebrate.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Make your reservations well in advance and find a way to go whenever they can take you. It's incredible--every course, every wine pairing, the service, you name it! One of our most memorable meals ever!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Lucky enough to get here again on our most recent visit--I called for a reservation at the precise minute that reservations opened for the day we wanted--and so glad that we did.

Impeccable service. Beautiful rooms. Delicious food. Great wines. What more can you ask for?

We started with a glass of prosecco--they opened the bottle and poured two full flutes at the table. Very nice touch. I had also been looking through their extensive wine list [with a nice variety of price points] to be able to narrow down to a couple of wines on a couple of pages that the very knowledgeable sommelier was able to guide us to a perfect St. Veran from the Maconais region of Burgundy.

My wife went with 3 courses while I had 4. We both started with the corn soup poured tableside into a bowl containing dungeoness crab, bacon and a chive biscuit. Our only quibble of the whole evening was that the biscuit wasn't left on the side for us to decide when and how much to dip into the creamless soup. I then had the shrimp and lobster risotto as a second course. Simply divine.

Our "main" courses were the soft shell crab over white polenta and the seared bass. Outstanding. For dessert, my wife went with chocolate while I had the cheese course in which they wheel a cart containing between 15 and 20 different cheeses. Two of the cheeses [wish I remember their names now] were the best I have ever had on a cheese plate at any restaurant anywhere. And the other two weren't so bad either.

We were sent home with the traditional muffin for breakfast the next day--this time pineapple cream cheese [from what we can tell, it's one for every two guests]. We left perfectly sated, walked the two blocks to the cable car line to head back to the Union Square area and were already looking forward to the next time we are lucky enough to dine here.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Celebrated a friends and my husbands birthdays. The best food, menu, service, sommelier and wine selections! Loved it all!