“Excellent.. Enough said!” 5 of 5 stars

Restaurant Gary Danko
Ranked #6 of 5,452 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent.. Enough said!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

There is a reason this restaurant is at the top on Yelp. The service is impeccable, the food is delicious, the decor is fabulous (I mean, even the toilet paper feels top of the line), and I love how I could choose any 5 types of dishes as my menu for the night. My only gripe is that even reserving about one month in advance, I could only get an early or very late dinner. Shows u the extend of their popularity!

1 Thank Addict4travel

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Winter Park, Florida
“Fantastic Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I tried to book at Restaurant Gary Danko for our trip to San Francisco but the only time they had was at 10:00 PM. I declined but the nice woman I talked to said I could be put on the waiting list for an earlier time or eat at the bar. I tried the waiting list and a spot opened up but I was not close to my phone so they gave it to the next person on the list. I still wanted to go with my mother and treat her to a nice meal so we ended up going and waiting for two seats at the bar. We went at 6:30 and waited maybe 15 minutes then were sat at the bar (which is rather small maybe 10 seats max) The wine list was extensive and I ordered a great Italian Brunello di Montalcino. We then proceeded to order and decided on the 3 courses for $73 each. I ordered Veal Sweetbreads for my starter and they were crunchy outside and creamy inside - perfectly done. My mother had the Lobster Risotto and she loved that. For our main courses she ordered the filet of beef and I had the Duck Breast with figs. For dessert we had the Louisiana butter cake and the chocolate praline parfait. Everything we ate was fantastic. The service at the bar was also great. We talked with both bartenders about the drinks they were mixing and our food and a wonderful experience. I would be seated at the bar any time!!!

1 Thank ckjgo1
deerfield il
“A great dining experience1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Definitely one of the finest restaurants my wife and I have ever eaten at in our 37 years of dining in the US and abroad! The food at Danko's was outstanding and the service superb. My wife and I each had the four course dinner. I had a dungeness crab salad, a coriander and pepper encrusted tuna, a superb cheese course, and a creme fraiche cheesecake. My wife had a marvelous corn and crab soup, seared scallops, cheeses, and a chocolate souffle with dark chocolate and creme anglais sauces. The fact that we could get half-pours of wine with each course also allowed us to taste a variety of fine wines.

Calgary, Canada
“This place will rock you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I booked this restaurant based on the reviews in Trip Advisor several months before we arrived. Best time we could get was 10:00 p.m.! This was the night that we got engaged. The restaurant was busy and crowded. Tables are a bit close together, but with the different levels of service and waiters you didn't really notice. It's nice to have service second to none. We also liked the menu, choose between 3-5 courses. You can have the same item 5 times, or you can have any course in any order that you like. 5 desserts? Go for it. The food was nicely presented, every dish we ate had it's own personal touch. The service wasn't about having 3-4 people over your shoulder every minute, but was nicely timed so that you didn't feel rushed. Once I popped the "question", they must have noticed because it wasn't long before we were congratulated and were delivered another desert!! This restaurant is rated close to the top in San Francisco for a reason.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Challenger01
“Vastly overrated. Food and ambience disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having booked in advance from England for a family dinner on vacation, we had high expectations. On arrival our table was not ready and we were left to stand in the very crowded bar area. Eventually we were shown to our table and then waited a considerable time for drinks we had ordered. We had informed them in advance that one person in our party was gluten free, however no bread was made available and they had removed the side plate with no mention of anything. We were sat directly under an air con vent which we raised as an issue because it was so cold and we were offered pashminas, however the temperature did not improve despite them saying it would. The food lacked any culinary finesse and was poorly seasoned. The menu was far too congested to enable any real focus for a restaurant of this supposed standard. The overall experience was noisy, poorly lit and with serving staff who had too higher an opinion of themselves and their offering. This was a really disappointing dining experience. Not to be recommended.

• 1 of 5 stars