“The best for special occasion”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were there yesterday to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The food was superb and the service was excellent. The waiters took the time to help you decide what to order and we enjoyed everything we ordered. The lamb was the best I've ever had at a restaurant. My husband chose the 4 course tasting menu and I had the 3 course. We were even able to enjoy cheeses and dessert without feeling too full. Thank you for making this a very memorable evening

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were lucky to get the table on the same day since somebody else canceled the reservation. The waiter was very attentative and helpful. No complaints about the services.

We ordered lobster, ahi tuna, oyster, sea bass, salmon, shrimp risotto, lamb, duck breast and stuffed quail. Everything tasted excellent. I am not a risotto or salmon person, but I really enjoyed both. All the dishes were executed almost to perfection, retaining their distinguished natural flavor with nice seasonings. Deserts were good. The only thing we did not like was probably the strawberry soufflé.

Loved the experience.

1  Thank Xiafei C
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A celebratory dinner for four was a delight from the first mouthful of complimentary roasted red pepper soup to the last exquisite morsel of salted chocolate Carmel parfait. Too full for a complete fourth course, we shared a cheese course which did not disappoint. The timing was flawless and food perfectly prepared and seasoned, whether mustard sauce on salmon or Bordelaise on beef.
Only problem: calling 2 months ahead of time.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I pick out restaurants before we pick out hotels so we are pretty serious about food. We thought the service was similiar to the Four Seasons, Le Bec Fin etc. The food was very good, not earth shattering (except for the beignets and salmon with horseradish which were actually earth shatteringly good). The wine pairings were excellent, the staff was really fantastic and not stuffy or ridiculous and we had a really perfect evening. Loved it.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had 9 PM reservations on a Wednesday night and the place was bustling. I liked the feel of the place -- lots of red colors, interesting art, warm, pleasing low lights. We were early so we sat at the bar and had a cocktail. The bar was busy & service was initially a little slow but only because, from what I could tell, other patrons were being serviced. The bar area was really crowded and I felt like we were lucky to have seats on the short curved end of the bar, where no one else would have need to walk behind is, because otherwise there would have been people constantly bumping into our backs (from what I observed) breathing down your back ready to snatch your bar seat! Once we did get service,it was warm and friendly and welcoming. No complaints there. Now for the dinner. We were first met with a warm introduction from Joseph, the restaurant manager. He spent a few minutes with us & he was truly gracious. He told us about the restaurant, shared a little about his background, asked us about us, where were we from, etc.. The water service and bread service was great, too; we were not "waiting" for anything. Same with wine service. I wish I could say the same great things about our actual server. She did not indicate her name. When we asked her questions, answers came out too quickly. It was like she presumed I knew everything. I apologize if I don't know or remember everything you just told me about the 18-24 selections you just described on your cheese plate but please don't get that tone when I ask for you to please repeat something. It was just weird. At one point when she was not around I turned to mu husband and asked him "did I do or say something wrong?" and he being my most honest critic (and he is also in the restaurant business in NYC) told me that no, it was her. This is supposed to be such a 'great' restaurant and I am not sure if this place can be compared with Le Bernardin in NYC, but when I ate there in 2012, the staff there made me feel like a celebrity! For food alone, though, this place was great. I had the risotto with mushrooms and bits of lobster and shrimp. It was very good, very rich, and well portioned - not too much that it would spoil the second course. Next was the pan-seared sea bass with root vegetables which was bang on perfect. Flavor abundant and it so good I did not want to share. i should mention that my husband calls me a "saltoholic" and at no time during my meal here did I wish for that extra salt taste (there are no salt shakers on the tables, anyway). Dessert was the cheese plate (insert the unfortunate aforementioned cheese service here) and the beignets. The cheese was excellent -- I only remember that we had the epoisse and that Napoleon - and the beignets were yummy too (although I must say that my dad makes them just as well). The beignets came with a little cup of warm spiced chocolate that I did not really think added to the beignets. The chocolate pot de creme was enough and we left the shot sized mug of hot chocolate largely untouched. I would like to go back to Gary Danko but I would definitely want a different server. Maybe she was having a bad night; I don't know. I also realize that this was a formal service, but I have experienced formal service before without this issue. And for this amount of money I don't want to leave a restaurant like this thinking everything was great, but this one thing really stands out. Service scores would have been a 5 if not for this server.