“Elegant Dining”

Restaurant Gary Danko
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Gary Danko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Baja California
“Elegant Dining”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

What a wonderful experience! The food was unparaled the service the same and as it was our daughter's birthday we had a private room, and the ambiance was fabulous! Cannot say enough about this restaurant. If you are ever in San Franisco be sure to make this a must. A little pricey so be sure to bring your credit card. More than worth the money!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank macho1

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
“Awesome service and food!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We came here for a great dinner as a group of 9. We made reservation a month in advance and reserved the private dining room. It was a great experience and the food was really delicious. I especially like the lobster risotto and roasted main lobster. I also ordered the quail stuffed with foie gras, but I was getting full by that that course. I also had the chocolate souffle cake. It was delicious. This is actually my second time coming to Gary Danko and it was just as good as I remembered it to be. Like the first time when I dined here, we were given a small pineapple cake to bring home. I haven't eaten that yet. I got a cake last time as well, and I remember it being just okay. Not sure if this time it is better.

The service was also really good. Although we had 9 people there, the service was quick and efficient. My glass was always filled with water, all dishes for everyone were always presented at the same time. My napkin was always folded nicely on the table when I returned from my restroom break.

Impeccable service and great tasting food. The decor is a bit too traditional for me but that is okay. Food and service are the most important things to me when it comes to a restaurant experience and Gary Danko is awesome. :)

Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank MustLoveTruffle
The unexplored
“Top of the mark”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is a real dining experience. I love this restaurant. I have never had a bad experience here. The Hyde room is the best room of the two to sit in. We are always treated special and the food is first rate. I don't know what 2 restaurants got higher ratings but this is the best place I have eaten in SF.

• Visited May 2011
“Danke Gary Danko”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This cozy restaurant packs a big punch. Set on the edge of Fisherman's Wharf, it serves some of the Bay area's finest food. Their concept of a variety of small & big plates allows a diner to choose however much or little she wishes to enjoy. I've never had less than a delicious meal here. Sitting at the first come, first serve bar area is a great way for 1 or 2 diners to pop in, if one hasn't had the foresight to reserve weeks, or more, in advance.

dublin, Ireland
“An Institution worthy of the name.”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I visited San Francisco with wife from 31 March to 6 April and set about organising a gourmet marathon. We dined on seven successive nights in AQ, Gary Danko, Garibaldi, Per Diem, Slanted Door, Bushi Tei and Velvet Room in Clift hotel.
I am writing up a separate review for each for comparison purposes. They can be found by following the Raysy reviewer link under each restaurant name.

Our second restaurant was Gary Danko which we had pre-booked three months in advance to be sure to get a table. I am always apprehensive about visiting restaurants that are dubbed “institutions” in the guidebooks. You frequently find that the original owners, standards and ethos have passed on and the place is living off the fruits of its old reputation. This is most definitely not the case with Gary Danko. From the moment we arrived we got a warm and professional feeling from every encounter. The maitred’ was just so good at his job. They offer three menus ($71 for 3, $89 for 4 and $104 for 5 courses.). They also allow great flexibility for sharing courses and having larger or smaller versions of their plates on offer. It’s just a can-do place.
We started with the seared foie gras (perfectly cooked); then shared a lobster risotto (yummmmm!); two mains of duck and seared sea scallops fresh delicious and beautifully presented. We had ordered two baked chocolate soufflés at the beginning, but decided that one would be more than sufficient to share. The maitred’ didn’t blink when we cancelled one of the desserts at the last minute and when the bill came we had just been charged for two of the 3-course dinners. For a mere $142 we had had an amazing selection of flavours and delights. We splurged a little on the wines with a half red Mas de Daumas Gassac ($55) and a bottle of a Swiss chasselas grape wine ($58) that is rarely found outside Switzerland. The sommelier sustained the class and style of the night by offering us a most professional and very knowledgeable exchange of views on the extensive wine list and our particular tastes. Then, after opening and tasting the wines, he surprisingly and delightfully left us alone for the night. I so much prefer to serve my own wine, particularly as opposed to those restaurants where the wine is conspicuously served in small dollops that add nothing but interference to the proceedings at table.
Wife received the customary Danko goodie bag of a “freshly baked breakfast muffin” and we were out into the dark night for our taxi home.
What a great experience!