“Old time charm and world class food”
Review of House of Prime Rib

House of Prime Rib
Reserve with OpenTable
House of Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 5,737 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Washington St.
Dobbs Ferry, NY
“Old time charm and world class food”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Even my 19 year old son who usually prefers chicken to red meat cannot stop talking about this place. The portions are enormous. I got the city cut and it was plenty. My husband had the big king hrnry the 8th or watever its called and ate it all. The meat is so flavorful and tender. I would recommend the baked potato over the mashed. The salad was the big surprise for me. It was fantastic. My sons opted to go ala carte because it includes all the same sides except for the salad. There is an extensive list of wines by the glass and our server Candace was delightful. The only slightly disappointing thing was that I told them it was my son's birthday when I reserved and again when I confirmed. Yet they did not acknowledge it. I was more bummed about it than he was. So all in all it was a fantastic way to kick off our SF adventure. Make sure to make a reservation. Even thought it is large it is packed

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great value, come hungry”
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Recently had the chance to eat in this "throwback" restaurant. If you don't like prime rib, don't bother w/HOPR because that's literally all that they serve. You get your choice from several "cuts" and they all come with fresh, hot, sourdough bread, cream of spinach, baked potato, salad, Yorkshire pudding and a piece of fresh cornbread. The salad is assembled and tossed by your waiter, beside your table. It was the one thing that I didn't care for, but only because I dislike beets. There is only one type of salad and no other choices. The prime rib is wheeled out in a cart and carved by a chef right at your table. The cut is generous and ( at least mine) was cooked as specified. The meat was tender and well prepared. This is very good prime rib. It wasn't "stringy" and hard to cut. My knife sliced right through it. Baked potato was large ( similar to what you get at a Morton's) and the Spinach was tasty too. I'm not wild about Yorkshire pudding but HOPR's is definitely fresh because your waiter pops it out of the pan it was baked in. All in all a very good meal and a lot of food for the money ($40.00/person). Will likely visit again, the next time that I'm in the Bay Area.

Visited August 2013
Geyserville, California
“Great Prime Rib”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

When we come to SF this is our restaurant of choice. You get a lot for your dollar, the service is great although sometimes a bit rushed, and the prime rib is excellent! You need a reservation and you need to book it way in advance although we have on occasion just walked in at 5:00 and were able to get a seat. Ask to sit in one of the back rooms as the main dining area is quite loud. The salad is soooooooo good and comes with the meal. You go to this place for one reason.... prime rib....that's all that's on the menu other then one fish. You just have to choose the size of your prime rib, the potato of choice and creamed spinach or creamed corn which are all included. Meal comes with wonderful SF sourdough and corn bread and a salad that we enjoy just as much as the prime rib. No choice of salads or dressings but you can have as much as you want.

• Visited August 2013
Atlanta, GA
“Delicious and Great Value”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This restaurant is a throwback and if you like prime rib then it is the place for you. The prime rib is delicious and comes with enough sides to feed an army. For $40 you get a slab of prime rib, salad, baked potato, and corn. We walked away with enough left overs for 2 more days.

All the food was flavorful and the service was quick and attentive. One of my favorite places in San Francisco.

• Visited August 2013
Palm Harbor
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't waste your time or money here.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I chose this restaurant based on all the great reviews but was disappointed. SF has a huge selection of unique restaurants and this one is like your run of the mill semi-upscale chain restaurant. Servers were running around like crazy (the hostess slipped and fell by our table) but service was slow and lackluster. Yes, the prime rib was good, but the side dishes were absolutely tasteless. We had a glass of wine in the bar before dinner but it was sour. We asked if they date their bottles and to the bartenders credit, she immediately opened a new bottle for us. Before you come to SF, get personal recommendations on restaurants and make reservations in advance. Don't waste your time or money on a place like this.

• Visited July 2013