“Thank you Cows Everywhere!”
Review of House of Prime Rib

House of Prime Rib
Reserve with OpenTable
House of Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 5,860 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Washington St.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Absolutely hands down a fabulous experience!! Go with the baked potato and get the works!! An amazing dining experience--Go tonight!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've been to the House of Prime Rib at least a half a dozen times over the years (probably more) and it's an all-time favorite of mine. I love red meat. I love baked potatoes, and nobody does an all-round great salad like the HOPR, mixed table-side in an iced bowl with aplomb. Yes, they have a fresh fish option although I've never dined with anyone who selected it (kind of besides the point, yes?). Most recently, I tried the English Cut, which was fantastic, although I've had the House of Prime Rib Cut and even the Henry VIII (the big one), every thing is always terrific. We were there on a busy week night (don't assume just because it's not the weekend it won't be packed) and we called at the last minute to change our reservation from four to five. We were advised that this would be possible but we might have to wait a bit longer for our table. I appreciated the "heads-up" and in spite of being told beforehand there would be an additional wait, the manager, maitre 'd, and waitress, all apologized any way. Classy. Bear in mind that this is a very popular place for birthdays, business parties, and other special occasions. If you have a party of five or more, delays are more likely to happen because it is sometimes difficult to gauge how much time it will take for the larger groups to vacate their tables and there are fewer options for management to adjust for a delay. Of course a really big group probably isn't a problem. The meal comes with rolls, corn fritters, creamed corn and/or creamed spinach, all of which are okay but not why I come and I usually stick mostly to the salad and the meat. If I still have room, one of the great desserts fills the bill. The creme brulee and the chocolate fantasy cake are outstanding. Also great is the valet parking which in San Francisco's parking challenged neighborhoods (all of them) is much appreciated.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The service was excellent, the portions were big and the quality was very good.
Very accommodating. I requested the spinach sautéed with garlic instead of creamed spinach. Not a problem. Do reserve with time.

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I can't find a single negative with this restaurant. Where else can you go and get a generous slice of prime rib and all sides including their speciality salad for 40.00! It is best to make a reservation in advance.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Where do I begin? Everything was absolutely fabulous. Our server, Jeremy was not only professional but he was friendly and very attentive to all his tables. For that, all of the servers were friendly and attentive.

The menu is simple. Prime rib. Only 4 things you have to worry about: what cut you want, how done you want it, baked potato or mashed and corn or spinach.

Anyone who knows me knows I am no fan of salad... but the salad which is tossed at the table is tremendous. Also the Yorkshire pudding is wonderful.

Everything is included in the dinner price (except drinks of course). Yes, it is spendy but this is San Francisco and everything is top of the mark.