“Some good, some okay, some not-so-good...”
Review of House of Prime Rib

House of Prime Rib
Reserve with OpenTable
House of Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Washington St.
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Good (but not great) prime rib. It had better be, since that's pretty much all that they serve. Their preparation lacked the highly flavored and somewhat crispy "lip" that true beef lovers appreciate. But it tasted good and was obviously slow cooked with care. Mashed potatoes tasted pretty good, but were the consistency of soup. They were served with a brown gravy that wasn't awful, but had a commercial taste to it. The Yorkshire pudding was outstanding...better than any I have had, even better than in England. The creamed spinach was just NASTY tasting. How do you ruin creamed spinach? Easy...just load it up with nutmeg...NUTMEG?...really? Awful-awful-awful. Salad dressing (only one type available) was okay, but the salad itself contains watercress and pimento. We tried to order it without these ingredients, but we were told that we could not. We didn't like it very much. Terrific warm individual loaf of VERY fresh, crusty sourdough bread on the table. Out-of-this-world creme brulee for dessert. The service was excellent and very professional. I'm glad we went, but I wouldn't go back. For these high prices I expect more.

There are newer reviews for House of Prime Rib

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Went to celebrate a birthday and it lived up to the hype. Prime rib was so juicy and tender and the sides were very good as well. Baked potato was HUGE and salad, creamed spinach, and yorkshire pudding were very tasty. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Place's packed....advanced booking is advisable.Only prime rib is served - who needs anything else??- huge portions of nice and juicy meat.Side dishes: salads,spinach cream are bottomless...Tasty gravy and potato pureé as well.NIce people,great attention overall.If you don't get a reservation, go and wait at the bar...nice beers and wine selections,and really well-made drinks.Enjoy!

1  Thank masoliveira
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Lovely old bar and restaurant we had to wait for a table we hadn't booked this place was busy and you can see why! Service was excellent beer and cocktails were very good. We were given warm crusty bread with butter while we waited for our meal then our salad came in a large iced dish that our server tossed at the table and dressed for us it was mouth watering. Our prime steaks were melt in the mouth cooked to perfection, My husband had mash and creamed spinach with his and I had a jacket potato served and dressed with the toppings at the table. The whole evening at this restaurant was perfect, meal, service everything. Where we sat was very noisy there was a large party in the same area as us but it didn't spoil our evening. Im sure if we had asked for a quiet area we would have been moved. A little expensive but well worth it, a wonderful end to a great holiday.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been to House of Prime Rib several times now. For me going out to dinner should be a multifaceted experience encompassing the food, service, atmosphere and fun factor. The first time I went I overdid it on the great warm sourdough and salad to start. Never again! I always want to be sure I have room for every last morsel of the excellent prime rib. The prime rib is cut and served to order at the table. I usually order the Baked potato as a side. This is a gigantic baked potato. As soon as our server loads it up with every imaginable topping I have them wrap it to go and it is my dinner the following night. One of the bonus features of this restaurant is the valet parking as finding a parking space in that area of San Francisco requires divine intervention. There is one small drawback and I almost don't want to mention it but if you are looking for a quiet subdued place this should not be your first choice. However, if you like a boisterous atmosphere with a lot of people having a great time, this is it.