“Very different but excellent food”
Review of House of Prime Rib

House of Prime Rib
Reserve with OpenTable
House of Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Washington St.
Coventry
“Very different but excellent food”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The photos do not do the food justice as in fact the food looks a lot better in person than in the photos. It was very unique in the way they presented it to you with the inclusion of the salads and sides. Not surer the salad is really needed however as you don't want to fill up with that and not leave any space for the meat! The cuts are very big but perfectly juicy and cooked very well. The restaurant had a good atmosphere, was busy and noisy. They say reservations recommended and I can see why as it was full to the brim, I booked online before my trip and glad I did.

2 Thank carolinerooke42

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Redwood City, California
“Still my favorite prime rib”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Prime rib is one of my guilty pleasures - I love making it, eating it, and trying it at any restaurant that supposedly specializes in it. After any extended time between visits to the House of Prime Rib in San Francisco, I always think about whether or not it is the best ... and after each subsequent visit, the answer is always a resounding yes! Nothing beats it and it still ranks number 1 on my prime rib restaurant ratings.

In California, there are two main places that are known for prime rib, and a lot of smaller copy-cat type restaurants. While the smaller establishments can be good, they serve only as stop-gap solutions to prime rib cravings due to proximity and ease of access. The main places are Lawry's (chain, closest would be in Los Angeles) and the House or Prime Rib (only location). According to our waiter, there had been lawsuits as to the format of the mail in the past (carving carts, salad, etc) but no one won because both restaurants had copied a place in the UK that originally served their meat like this. When you're in Los Angeles, Lawry's is king, but after going to both many times, I have to say that the House of Prime Rib edges Lawry's out.

The consistency is what impresses me the most at the House. The meat is always tender, and flavorful, and everything always lives up to expectations. Unfortunately, the same can not always be said of other places - I've definitely had great meals at other restaurants, but the meat is a hit and miss - sometimes too dry, sometimes too tough, never consistently melt-in-your-mouth delicious, which is why I give my recommendation to the House of Prime Rib.

Even with a reservation, the wait can be a little while, so just get there early, and hungry. If you order the House, English, or King Henry cut, you're entitled to seconds on meat and sides because they never want you leave hungry. It's not romantic, it's not quiet - everyone's eating and drinking and having a great time - there are a lot of groups, and if you're celebrating something, they'll even take a picture and give you a copy which is a great plus. Have fun, and enjoy the food!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Derek C
Windsor, California
“eh”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I ate here a few years ago.
Good food, but I was not impressed with the service. They seemed to be upset because I didn't want the salad. I felt insulted, and haven't been back since.
My wife enjoyed it, but then, she had the salad.
Sorry, but I don't go to a place called House of Prime Rib to eat veggies.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Sonomamon
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best steak ever”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was the BEST steak I've ever had. We made reservations based on it's top 10 US status of best steakhouses (yahoo). It met every expectation that I had. What could be better than a phenomenal steak and it included a variety of sides. Based on prior reviews, I did not indulge too much on the bread, salad and spinach. It was average at best. I saved my appetite for the star of the show, the Ribeye and the yorkshire pudding. YUM, YUM, YUM. The horseradish variety was a nice touch as well as the au jour sauce. Cant wait to eat there again.
Pros: seated ahead of reservation time (10 minutes)
Manager assisted with wine selection
Our waiter snapped a photo of our birthday girl and gave us a copy :)
Free birthday ice cream for our birthday girl!!
Reasonable price for dinner (60 pp with a glass of wine)
Cons: noise level extremely high
Crowded for a 930 reservataion

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Paigeville
Kapaa, Hawaii
“King Henery the 8th Cut”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have lived in the Bay area qyite awhile and when we plan to go out to eat Meat we always debate going to Ruth Chris Steak House or House of Prime Rib. Both serve steaks and prime rin and are on Vanesse Bld and within several blocks of each other.

When you want steaks, get a filet at Ruth Chris, if you want Prime Rib, go to the House of. On March 13th we had friends meet us at the House of Prime Rib. They have Valet parking ($9) and are very courtious and move cars quickly. You pay on the way out. They will seat a party when all are available. While you wait, have drinks in the bar. The generous cocktails come in a shaker, and enogh for a second drink. They are reasonably priced at $10-$11, but since you get 2 drinks it is a good deal.

Gus is a Master of Ceramonies and greets people and with warm stories. Gus has been working at The House of Prime Rib 60 years.

The place gets busy fast, but the wait staff make you feel special. Pass on the appetizers and soup, which are all good but there is so much food with the basic meal. There are 4-5 prime ribs in a 4' rolling cart that they cut at the table according to your request. All plates come with a house salad, Sour Dough Bread, Baked or Mashed potatoes, corn bread, creamed spinach and Yokshire Pudding (like a bread). They offer 3 kinds of horeshradish from Hot to Creamed.

If you order the King Henery the 8th cut, they will give you consecutive plates with mashed potatoes and spinach until you call Uncle, or your wife makes you stop like mine when I verged on Gluttoni. There is a $25 Corkage fee if you bring in wine, so if you do (being close to Napa and all) make sure you bring a good bottle. They also have an extensive wine list. We passed on desserts and were still quite full.

Enjoy, Mark & Karen Whitson