“Hand pulled noodles...worth it”
Review of M. Y. China

M. Y. China
Ranked #241 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: SoMa
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I took my husband here because he has always been a fan of hand pulled noodles. We ordered a few noodle soups as well as the crispy noodles with chicken. The hot and sour soup was probably my favorite. I will say service was good until after they took our order. We had to wait a long time for our tea and then I never got a refill on my drink because our server disappeared. I would like to go back and try their dim sum sometime. It was a solid choice for lunch for a group of 3 people.

1  Thank Jenwee
Heather M, Guest Relations Manager at M. Y. China, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Hi Jenwee,
Thank you for visiting M.Y. China. I'm delighted you enjoyed the soup and the Crispy Noodles but was disappointed to read about your service. Disappearing servers are not conducive to an exemplary dining experience and you have my apologies. Any chance you remember the date/time you were here or who your server was? I would like to follow up to ensure this does not happen again. If you'd like, you can email me at heather at mychinasf dot com.
My very best-Heather McNeil

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Ive been her five times already ! Not just for the great food and amazing benyas for dessert but they fun noodle shows, yes the chefs take the noodle pasta Dow and spin it around before they cook it it's great ! But even without that it's a great place located near all the downtown hotels and hot shopping spots and they food is really great. Love the rice dishes the dumplings the spicy soup and the yummy tea. Try anything here it's great sometimes they get pretty busy so I say call ahead to reserve a table just in case but I've stopped bye sometimes and got in try either way nice open airy vibe to the room.

1  Thank Mike S

Hi Mike,
5 times? That is terrific. Have you introduced yourself to us yet? We love to get to know our regulars. Thank you so much for your patronage and for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate it. Sincerely-Heather McNeil

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We enjoyed ourselves here. Be sure to sit by the noodle and dumpling making. The service was attentive and fast. The food was very, very good. I didn't need the fat in the sweet and sour pork, but I sure didn't miss it in the duck skin. Great classics and super location.

Heather M, Guest Relations Manager at M. Y. China, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hello!
Thank you for visiting M.Y. China. We are so happy you enjoyed the food. I apologize for the fat in the sweet and sour pork and have passed along your comments to our kitchen team. There are many great restaurants in San Francisco and we wanted to let you know we appreciate your business. Hopefully we will see you again-Heather McNeil

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I'm a Chinese girl who fancies herself a bit of a foodie, and in my opinion this place was excellent! The dishes were delicious and authentic with modern presentation. It was like eating the best Chinese street food but cooked with better produce (not too greasy and no msg) and in a classy restaurant setting. The service, decor and atmosphere were all great. My favourites were the Shandong beef rolls, pork tacos, beef noodle soup and the pandan coconut sorbet. Went to the Michelin starred Hakkasan recently and I felt that the food was better at MY China! Yes, it's pricier than local places in Chinatown but it's definitely worth it. Had never heard of Martin Yan before and came across this place by chance whilst shopping at Westfield - so glad we gave it a go!

1  Thank jam-and-cream
Heather M, Guest Relations Manager at M. Y. China, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Wow! Thank you so very much for the kind words. I am delighted you enjoyed the food at M.Y. China and sincerely hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have heard of this restaurant, M.Y.China, before we visited San Francisco and learned that it was developed by Yan Can Cook. The restaurant was located inside Westfield SF Center on “4th” floor (Level 4? not exactly 4th, very confusing). The setting, inside and out, is just great. However, the “table” for two is just too close to each other, you can’t have a small talk without letting it be known by “neighbors”. There’s a separate room to seat a group of people more than two. Have no clue why it has to design this way, but it’s a little uncomfortable for a couple anyway. Food are good but not great: Honey walnut shrimp, priced at $22 for just under 10 shrimps? Too much. Not superior than HWS I had in “average” Chinese restaurants. Dan Dan Noodles? tasted like cold dish in salad bar, can’t figure it out what style it is: Sichuan? Hong Kong? Taiwanese? None of these. Hot & Sour Soup, too sour and “thin/light”. Probably the only plus is the Pork belly sliders: it is close to Taiwanese “Steamed Sandwich”. The open kitchen is impressive. Service is first class. Setting & decoration, very good. Room for improvement? Get some real cooks, don’t try to do everything from Hong Kong/Cantonese, Sichuang, Hunan, Shanghai to Taiwanese.
This restaurant should have five stars; the quality of food downgraded it to 4.

1  Thank Chuang004
Heather M, Public Relations Manager at M. Y. China, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hello,
Thank you for visiting M.Y. China. I wanted to reach out to you regarding the "table for two". To speak candidly, you are not the first person to mention this. We have made some adjustments just in the last couple days which should minimize the aforementioned proximity to other guests. You also always have the option of requesting to sit at a regular table in the dining room or patio. I hope that helps.
The Dan Dan Noodles at M.Y. China are served chilled. We know this is a little different, but our servers our instructed to inform guests of this when they order. Did this happen? We serve this dish chilled for a variety of reasons, but mainly when ordering multiple dishes, we like the contrast in flavors and temperatures by contrast.
We appreciate your comments as we have learn a great deal from our guests. If your travels bring you back to SF, we hope you will consider another visit.
All the best-Heather McNeil