“great food, amazing service”
Review of Aslam's Rasoi

Aslam's Rasoi
Reserve with OpenTable
Aslam's Rasoi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,103 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Mission District
Cross street: 22nd street
Reviewed December 25, 2011

the food was delicious, and because they forgot to bring one appetizer the owner kept insisting on giving us more food for free! And everything was scrumptuous. I was really, really impressed with the owner's concern with making the experience as positive as possible. Oh, and ask for the Coconut Dal Soup -- not (yet) on the menu, but to die for!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We go to Aslam's Rasoi (Aslam's kitchen) regularly and it is a favorite of my 8 year old's. She loves Indian food especially his chicken samosas, when they're offered (not on the regular menu though). They're made with ground chicken and spices, perhaps a tad too spicy for most kids, in crisp and light samosa wrappers. His Chicken Tikka Masala (get it mild for kids and medium for adults) is another of her favorites. The grownups like both as well, along with the many vegetarian options on Aslam's menu, and the delicious naan. It's a family owned and run restaurant in SF's trendy Mission District. There's an affordable city garage around the corner on 21st St. which is handy since it can be challenging to park in the Mission. Or just take BART and walk a few blocks. It's not a kid restaurant, and is actually a beautifully decorated and upscale place. But they love and welcome kids and my kid is comfortable there. Sit in the front window area to watch lively Valencia street!

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We eat here once a month and it's always superb! Our favorite dishes are the chicken Tikka Masala, chicken Korma, the Dal and the veggie Biryani. And the service is always wonderful!! Family owned and run and super nice people.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I first went to Aslam's with the people in my dinner club a few years ago.

I always like to try something different when I go to a new restaurant, and since I eat lamb only rarely, I decided that was the way to go. In looking over the different types of sauses, I chose the korma because I was in the mood for a creamy sauce. This sauce is yogurt based with crushed cashews, and slivers of almond sprinkled over the dish. I was hooked with my first bite. I was the only one to order a lamb dish, or a korma dish, and the table wound up ordering a side bowl of the sauce alone, because it was so delicious. In fact, the host of that particular event got in touch with me later to confirm what dish it was I had eaten. He was going again with friends and wanted to order the same.

I have been back several times, once by myself, once with my cousin, and three times to get food to go. Of course it's not quite as good eating it off of a plate at home, knowing I am going to have to wash the dishes myself, but even take-out is pretty gosh-darned delicious. (I know, I said I like to try new things when I go to restaurants, and I swear next time I go, I'll either change the sauce or the protein. Probably the protein.)

I should mention that the naan is wonderful, too. I usually get the garlic and basil, but have had the goat cheese as well. They are quite delicious, and good for eating plain or dipping into the meal.

I don't see it on their online menu, so I'm not sure if they change the dessert menu around or not. When I had dessert the one time I ate there by myself I had the pistachio ice cream. I never knew I liked pistachio ice cream! It was served in pieces, like they rolled it into a log-shape and then cut in up. It was a pretty presentation, and was a lovely way to finish my meal.

Enjoy!