“Absolutely Gorgeous!!!”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: The Castro
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

This was my favourite restaurant I had the pleasure of eating at during my stay in San Francisco! The restaurant is only small so I would recommend booking beforehand. The service waa great and staff very helpful. The decor was also very fitting with the seafood theme. A group of 4 of us shared a seafood soup/stew which was to die for. I had Mahi Mahi for main which was gorgeous. I would definately visit again. P.S ... Amazing garlic bread :-)

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We wait 50 minutes. Not really waited here - took walk around, we're back after 25 minutes and decided to be patient.

Great sea food experience.
Pay attention - they have options in addition to menu. Ask - it may be surprising.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Ate here with my mother and aunt over Christmas holiday last year. We had to wait a good hour for a table and it was quite cold that evening, but fortunately we were one of the first to arrive and had a spot on their bench. About thirty minutes into waiting, the restaurant brought some warm clam chowder samples out for those waiting.

The food was very good, from the clam chowder to the shrimp and crab dishes. It was very similar to Pearl Oyster Bar in NYC. Yummy!

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Get here early and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere. Good variety of seafood dishes. Excellent chowder. Only 25 seats, good selection of beers and wines.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I have been to the Anchor Oyster Bar a dozen times in the last 5-6 years. Until yesterday, it had been consistently good. It had been one of my favorite places to get a Dungeness crab sandwich.

I thought my plate looked pathetic, but when I saw one of the other pics posted here on TripAdvisor, I was right. The crab was almost tasteless (and there wasn't a lot of it). The side mixed greens looked old, and worse, they put mixed greens in the sandwich which made it taste funny. That's just wrong. They should have simply used romaine in the sandwich.

The table bread was possibly day old. And my husband's Caesar salad was not done correctly. When restaurants get the dressing wrong, they usually use too much lemon or garlic. Yesterday, it might have been too much mustard or the wrong kind of cheese. It was really off.

The chowder, however, was not disappointing--good as usual.

The Anchor is a small place, with a tiny kitchen. Sometimes service is a bit slow, but not bad. Employees have been pleasant.

I HOPE this was just a bad day or had a substitute cook, or they weren't able to get fresh supplies after a holiday? I'll have to give them another try, but I was very disappointed. Normally, I'd give them a higher score but I'm giving this a lower score in case this is a change in management.