“Anchor Oyster Bar has Great Staff!!”

Anchor Oyster Bar & Seafood Market
Ranked #9 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: The Castro
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We did an online search and saw good reviews so we drove to check it out. Parking in the area is tight and very limited but we found a parking lot a few blocks away and walked, which just added to the overall San Francisco experience. Although it is a tiny place and we had to wait around an hour it was well worth it. The staff is vey friendly and we were even treated to some free and delicious garlic bread to make up for the wait. I would definitely return. Great seafood dishes.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My SF friends took me here when I was over from the UK and I must say every dish we had was superb. Seriously.

The appertiser I ordered was wrong but this was sorted within minutes by our waiter. Actually didn't order then clam chowder??? (this turned out to be a mistake! It was amazing) when my 'Manhattan Style' Chowder arrived - it was really good too and I felt a little guilt. We also had the scallops in breadcrumbs (really good).

If that wasn't enough our mains were the Open Crab and Prawn sandwich. V rich and indulgent but we didn't care!

This experience 10/10 - not just the food, but the attentive service from the floor staff and management - really well done.

1  Thank TheLamplighter2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Anchor is a Castro favorite and hasn't changed much over the years - always dependably good seafood. It's small and generally cramped so not a great place to appear with a group unless it's off hours.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

A friend that lived in the Castro took me here and introduced me to oysters. I had the beausoleil which I found out later is the best for introducing people to oysters because they have a more mild flavor. I've had their fish, clam chowder and other types of oysters since that first visit and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is really dining on a counter top. It is really a fish shop with stools at the counter. The seafood is good. Oysters etc are opened as you order. A slight problem is the lack of hygienic food handling - for example squeezing lemon with bare hands and not using gloves to plate up food. If you can overlook this it is worth a try.