“Fresh oysters and other seafood in Castro”

Anchor Oyster Bar & Seafood Market
Ranked #9 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: The Castro
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just write your name on the board nest to the entrance and sit on the street bench. It's worth the wait. Reasonably priced amazing seafood and different types of oysters. It's clean, it's cosy, the atmosphere and the food just puts a smile on your face. Can't wait to come back!

1  Thank Jarmo S
There are newer reviews for Anchor Oyster Bar & Seafood Market

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've been here times in the past & always had excellent food & service! Great place to take family members visiting in town. A little upscale in atmosphere & price, but very worth it. Excellent seafood & fish dishes.

1  Thank Taryn H
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We were waiting for one and half an hour to be seated. But the food there worth waiting. The shellfish combination is great. Same as the anchor special( oyster/prwan/ clam). And the oyster shooter is nice and tastey.

1  Thank Stephen_fang
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoy local eateries high on quality and low on pretentiousness. That's exactly what you get here. We arrived at 7:27, signed the board, went down the block for a bevy, returned at 8:15 and were seated within 5 min. We were in the end two seats at the bar, where we enjoyed watching the chefs prepare everything, though it is a high traffic corner. She had the (half) Cioppino. Generous steamed crab meat, a couple kinds of mussels and oysters - including some massive greenlips from NZ - shrimp and cod (I think), all in a very tasty tomato broth. This was her dinner, I don't eat seafood, so they offered to make me a vegetarian pasta which was probably the second best pasta dish I've had in my life (#1 going to LoRusso's in St. Louis). Garlic bread was as good as advertised - about 8 pieces - so we gladly shared with the couple seated next to us. One thing that impressed me was as it got close to 9, and the restaurant neared its last seating time, they took hot bowls of clam chowder out to everyone patiently waiting in the cold to get in. Nice touch.

1  Thank STLSooner
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I always try to have at least one meal at the Anchor Oyster Bar when I'm in San Francisco. The waits can be long, especially for large parties since the venue is so small, but the seafood is fresh and well prepared. I inevitably seem to order the cioppino, which isn't on the menu but is available. It's a huge bowl of seafood in a delicious tomato broth. It's suitable for sharing. It's also okay to be selfish and eat it all yourself. It's that good.

1  Thank GlenhavenTraveler