“Arguably the best value seafood restaurant in San Francisco”

Anchor Oyster Bar & Seafood Market
Ranked #7 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: The Castro
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We tried the Anchor restaurant in the Castro district after a recommendation of a local - we found a very good seafood resturant, exceptionally good value, and if you are wise come early, write your name on the outside blackboard around 5.30pm, go shopping in Castro Street, and come back regularly to check the progress of your "name". We found a number of people listed before us on the chalkboard were happy to eat at the bar, but we persisted and ate at a table. We particularly like seafood, and feel the Anchor is worth the tram ride to Castro Street from the San Francisco CBD. Frankly, I was hugely disappointed with the seafood scene at Fishermans Wharf, and strongly recommend that it be given a miss overall for eating of seafood - the Anchor is just great eating and value. It is also possible to purchase a bottle of wine elsewhere, and bring your wine to the restaurant, which is a nice economical touch.

2  Thank pittjohn

Reviewed February 25, 2013

It's a nice cosy place just a few minutes walk from the streetcar station. Place is very clean and the service was very good. I had the crab burger that came with a cup of clam chowder.

The chowder is less thick then most chowder that I have had in the past and I actually prefer it that way. Nice size chunk of vegetables also.

The burger was stuffed with a lot of crab meat. It was a little heavy on the dressing for my taste so I just scrap off the excess, no big deal.

All in all, a nice lunch.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Anchor is one of those little gems. Very small, and usually busy. Great seafood and very good value for the money.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Well I really wanted to go to the Swan Oyster Depot but did not have time since they close at like 5pm. I was very happy with my choice to try the Anchor Oyster Bar for dinner. I sat at the bar the place was very small, really clean and service was quick. I ordered a couple oyster shooters a cup of clam chowder and a combo Louie. I enjoyed my meal and will put this on my list for great Seafood in San Francisco.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This place has been open for about 40 yerars, and they are every bit as good as ever. The food is simple but perfect, with a delicious chowder, live cold local oysters, crab or shrimp Louis salads, and a killer Cioppino. If you are careful, you can eat here for about $20.