“From Russian Hill To Glen Park”
Review of Chenery Park - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chenery Park
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Diamond St.
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Friday night and my friend and I are caught up in the Giants traffic for 6:30 dinner reservation. Quick telephone call and they moved it to 7. Seated in front of the window as planned and ordered our drinks (they have a full bar). We ordered the mac and cheese appetizer and a romaine/caesar salad. My friend's selection was the sliced pork that comes with 2 sides and I ordered the "dark and spicey gumbo" as professed by Patty Unterman. The mac and cheese was served hot but did not seem like it was the baked sort, but rather put together and most probably, placed under the burners of their broiler. The salad was somewhat garlicky and was good. The entrees arrived and were not especially outstanding (admittedly good, but not great). My gumbo seemed to fall way too short as I have had it prepared by a New Orleans friend of mine, made with the cracked crab and clams and plenty of andouille sausage. We ordered desserts and I can tell you that my key lime pie was more like a lemon fruit tart with a wet crust while my friend's rhubarb crisp was anything but crisp. The service was very good and the wait staff was quite gracious.

Reviewed May 8, 2009

I love this place!

We've been going there almost since they opened 8 years ago and it continually brings me back for more. The menu changes a bit seasonally but they always keep some tried and true favorites. I don't even eat everything they offer like some seafood items but everyone seems to love the menu. I'm not a wine drinker but they sure pour a lot of it and everyone seems happy to be dining there.

It looks like, as in my case, they have a LOT of repeat customers. The owner, chef, hostess and even the staff seem to know many of the customers. It's not uncommon for people to walk in and the hugs begin.

There are two things you have to try if they are on the menu the Mac & Cheese and these sausages, they could be a meal in themselves but they don't have them all the time. Over the years though, they bring 'em back. TRY THEM.

The only caviat is that Tuesday night is Kid's night. Great for families but if you don't like the little tikes be sure to ask for a table downstairs or away from them. The redhead hostess is super-nice, she'll take care of you.

I also feel like they appreciate my business, that's sometimes remarkable in this city.
Just go - try this place.

1  Thank Floridason
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Pretty good food (if you don't mind stepping over all of the kids running around)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 16, 2008

I only ate here once, but the food was fantastic. And on Tuesdays they have "kids" nights, where kids can be exposed to the finer dining experience without the judging eyes of non-parent types.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2008

This place was fabulous! Food was really good and they have family night on Tuesdays, where kids are absolutely welcome. Not too many kid friendly restaurants in San Francisco, unless you go to a place like pasta pomodoro or Chevy's.....which neither interests me at all.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook