“Excellent Peruvian Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ulloa-Vicente
Reviewed January 15, 2014

A local favorite in West Portal, Fresca is the kind of place you want to go when you want comfort food, albeit Peruvian comfort food. The restaurant is small and rather noisy, but the service is excellent and the food so satisfying. I wasn't sure what Peruvian food was until I tried all sorts of new things that I loved. We started with a mixed ceviche plate and asked our server to recommend the types we should have. He did a great job. We loved them all. Then we went onto the entrees which were big portions, cooked to perfection, and we all cleaned our plates. I have now been to this restaurant twice and won't hesitate to go again. Prices are comparable to any other good restaurant. It is very crowded on weekend nights, and I'm not sure if they take reservations, but it's worth the wait, believe me!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I love Peruvian food, and this is what they serve in a nice upscale way. The restaurant has more than one location and unfortunately often I sense no one is in charge and the service can be a bit impersonal. Fish dishes are good.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Food tasted good, great service. The restaurant is very noisy, very hard to carry a decent conversation until the crowd is gone.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

A friend and I enjoyed a tasty weeknight dinner at Fresca, a local gem in West Portal. We arrived just before 6 PM and they fit us in, although we had no reservation. Service was knowledgeable, helpful and efficient. When we could not decide between two appetizers, our server recommended a shrimp dish that was heavenly. It was served with two slices of bread, but we also ordered plantain chips. The shrimps' sauce was so good that we kept the bowl on our table through dinner, using it as a dip for plantain chips. The plantain chips were wonderful, order a side of them no matter what else you choose! We split a halibut entrée, delicious. Our server provided two plates to facilitate the split. My friend enjoyed a Peruvian beer. Although we ordered seafood, the menu is varied and has something for almost everyone (very limited vegetarian offerings). Reservations recommended; this place was packed and as walk-ins we were lucky to snag a table. Noisy at the height of dinner hours, not recommended for the hard-of-hearing.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Been there many times and its alway been good. The fish ceviche originated from Peru and they do it right to the tack. My favorite is the Seafood Stew with a mixture of mussels, clams, fish and more, The place is small, but the service is fast and friendly. Reservations a must, the prices are a little high but you pay for quality and freshness. Never been disappointed, the West Portal restaurant is better than the Filmore..