“Too loud, too cramped and too bad I won't be back.”
Review of Fresca

Fresca
Ranked #1,390 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ulloa-Vicente
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We came here for the first time and it will be the last. There were four of us and you could barely hear a word across the table. The restaurant is small and table sizes reflect this so you can only imagine how loud the place was. I dont really care if they have the best Peruvian cuisine outside of Peru, if you can't hear your table mates the dinner is a failure.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Went to Fresca Restaurant on Wed 22nd Feb, for lunch, what a great little restaurant, the food was great, the service was great, our waiter Mauricio was very friendly and helpful, great value for money, would recommend Fresca will call again when in SFO

Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is a pretty interesting restaurant. The dishes are inventive and tasty, and the ingredients seem fresh and well prepared. The ceviche is good, not the best I've ever had but perfectly tasty. The restaurant is a little noisy, so be prepared for that. Not all the tables are well located, particularly the ones by the door feel cramped.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I hoped to have a pleasant dinner away from our typical upbeat bar and lounge scene. I found plenty of nearby restaurants on Yelp, but I chose Fresca because of two things: their menu offered Nouveau Peruvian cuisine; and I have only indulged in home-cooked Peruvian meals. Although I booked our reservation for 9:45, we were greeted and seated immediately upon our 15-minute premature arrival.

Our server, Carlos, was amazing! During his introduction, he assured me food allergens I disclosed prior on http://OpenTable.com were not going to be a problem. He was very attentive, courteous, and knowledgeable when I had questions about items on the menu. His enthusiasm caused us to order more than we anticipated.

We were delighted to have devoured the following:

Ceviche "5" Elementos - halibut, onion, rocoto pepper, lime juice, and sea salt.

Anticuchos - beef heart skewers, aji panca-achiote glaze, aji verde aioli, Yukon potatoes, and salsa criolla.

Chuleton de Chancho - grilled pork chop, black bean "tacu-tacu", aji honey mustard, plantains, and mango mustard salsa.

Churrasco - grilled new york steak, potato gratin, watercress, mushroom demi-glace, and tomato chimichurri.

Tres Leches cake with Dulce de Leche ice cream in caramel-chocolate sauce. Positively sinful!

All of the above accompanied by a couple Cerveza Cristal - la cerveza del Perú, a chicha morada, and a tall glass of Inca Kola came to a grand total of $97.11 before gratuity. It was well worth it, if you ask me.

A+ for flavor, presentation, and service.

Reviewed August 29, 2009

My friend here in SF recommended it to me. I was visiting from Atlanta. We got there and were seated promptly. The restaurant is very small, but it was 9:30 so seating was easy.

It happens to be an unseasonably warm weekend in San Francisco. Highs of 80-85 degrees. So, the restaurant is really warm. We were initially seated by the open kitchen and we couldn't take it. We asked to be moved and were.

The poor busboy kept loading tons of plates from tables and perilously plugging toward the kitchen...it wasn't a good vibe. I felt like i was at an Applebee's. Our server came by a good deal later. There were no other new tables, so we were wondering why it took 10 minutes, but oh well. We weren't in that big of a rush. The waiter was nice when he arrived. He offered some suggestions. One of the suggestions was an entree i'd been eyeing: the halibut with cilantro risotto cake. We started with a ceviche sampler.

We both had just been to Santiago for vacation in May, so our ceviche meter was finely tuned. We doubted it would be as good as the best ceviche we had sampled in Santiago (and of course it wasn't), but it was pretty darn good. Probably the best i've had in the states.

Our entrees came. My friend had the seafood rice dish and i had the halibut. I tasted his; it was good but not great. It definitely was huge though. The waiter had not recommended it. I dug into my halibut. OMG...it was single handedly the best halibut i've ever eaten in my life. The risotto cake was crisp and searing hot, while the spinach added a nice backdrop...but OH that halibut. The portion was of good size...but really...it could have been small and i'd still be raving about it on this review. We're tempted to go back tonight...as we both agreed that it was just stunning halibut. i licked every bit from my plate.