“Great neighborhood Mexican food”

El Toreador Fonda Restaurant
Ranked #1,730 of 5,777 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have coming here for years. Busy, recommend make reservations or come early, sign in, then walk around the nearby shops. Everything is good here. Decor is fun, margaritas and chips very good, and soup before meal.

If you have more than four in your group, strongly recommend making reservations.

1  Thank audrey r
There are newer reviews for El Toreador Fonda Restaurant

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great find near to where we were staying.
Wish we had found it sooner as the combination of eclectic decor, fabulous beers and frozen margarita suited all the family's taste; throw in good Mexican food, reasonable prices and friendly service and you can't go wrong.
Located in a nice neighbourhood with easy parking (make sure you have enough coins for the meter!)
Comes highly recommended.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Whenever I visit the Bay Area this will be the first place we go to eat. The place is fun and the decor can keep everyone busy looking at and commenting. The hot sauce is my favorite of any Mexican restaurant I have gone to. I started going here in 1988 and it seems like a place stuck in time. I still recognize the owner greeting people at the door. The beer list is very extensive from all over the world. We have always enjoyed every meal here and most of the times go away completely stuffed. The tacos are my favorite item as the shells are properly fried and well balanced with meat cheese and lettuce, maybe not what most people would describe a good taco as but trust me, the shells make them the best you will taste. I can never wait to go back!!!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This small unique Mexican restaurant iin the West Portal neighborhood of San Francisco is a real find. The ceiling is so decorated that you can spend your first 15 minutes just looking up. Bird, flowers, hats, everything is hanging from above. Warm chips are immediately served along with a very good spicy hot sauce served in small glass carafe. I enjoyed the steak quesadilla and my woe the crab quesadilla. Both were more than enough for one person, in fact we ended up taking extra home for another meal. We could of easily spilt one. The margaritas were OK, a little small, and I must admit I've had better. The restaurant is always busy so one should be prepared for a wait. There isn't a good waiting area so the deal is go next door to the Irish Pub and enjoy a drink and they will come and get you when a table is ready.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The fare was not a true Mexican experience. The titles on the menu while sounding Mexican are more of a tex mex cuisine. The shrimp in garlic sauce lacked a punch as well as enough shrimp to call it a dish. It was mostly vegetables. The burritos were mostly beans and rice, lacking meat. The horchata drink was very close to the real thing! Great service ! And a remarkable variety of beer for those who love beer. The place is rather small and gets packed for dinner. Make sure you take care of your nitrogenous elimination needs before you go, the place only has one shared restroom, albeit very tight squeeze. Price for six of us including 3 alcoholic drinks was $130.00. Bring quarters because you will need to park on the street with meters.