“Breakfast of the year!”
Review of Zazie

Zazie
Reserve with OpenTable
Zazie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Carl and Parnassus
Transit: The MUNI N-Judah train stops on Cole Street half a block from Zazie
Description: Zazie is a small neighborhood bistro in a historic building in Cole Valley, near the upper Haight and UCSF with a gorgeous well heated garden patio. We are famous for our American style brunch, served seven days/ week, but dinner is the hidden gem- country French cooking at it's best served with warmth.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Zazie's is a place that just got everything right -- from the food to the service and the great location. If you are in the Haight area and looking for a bite for breakfast or brunch, this is the place. Accept no substitutes!
PS Got tipped on to Zazie's by the locals, apparently there are a few other really nice cafes in that same area (that's if you are waiting for a table, which we did not have to, although there were only two left when we got there at approximately 9:30 AM).

There are newer reviews for Zazie

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Zazie is COOL! They don't take reservation and it can be busy. Make sure you get there early and write down your name on the board attached to the front door. If the wait is long, go next door for a drink. Food is hearty with typical SF edge. Eggs royale and scrambled eggs are a few of my favourites. They come with chunks of potatoes roasted in garlic which is also yum. Coffee and hot chocolate are served in massive soup bowls with no handles --careful they can be hot! It's not a place for gastronomic experience. Instead, it's a place where you hang out with friends, laugh, eat and have a good time.

1  Thank Y S
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Come to SF, discover the quiet hamlet of Cole Valley (ironically near the Haight Ashbury) and get in line for breakfast at Zazie's, a small neighborhood French inspired bistro. It may take an hour to get a table but its always worth it (and I don't say that lightly). Zazie' s eggs benedict is spectacular esp. with tomatoes provencale. If you have a sweet tooth, there pancakes and french toast (challah bread) that is wonderful as well. Lovely tiny garden in the back as well.

1  Thank LuxNomadTraveler
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went on a Saturday evening with reservations at 7:00pm. Nice table for 4 in window. Casual atmosphere, with great wait staff. Our waiter made some suggestions without being too intrusive and we ordered. Salads were very well prepared as was the mussel appetizer (highly recommend). Entrees were very good, especially the fish dishes, boneless trout and steelhead. The duck was perfect, however the fingerling potatoes dressed with pancetta and Dijon vinegarette was too strong. We will go back. Parking is tough, but doable.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I read about this place in an article about restaurants that actually treat their staff well, paying them above the legal minimum of $2/hour, giving them sick days and even contributing to a retirement plan! I wanted to support them, so once I checked the menu online to determine if I would actually enjoy the food, I put Zazie on my list.

It's a little expensive but worth it. Eggs and pancakes are priced so that you can get 1, 2, or 3. If you only want all eggs or all pancakes, it's a better deal to get the 2 or 3, but for those like me who always have a dilemma deciding between sweet and savory for breakfast, it was a great way to do both. I had an egg benedict with crab meat and a lemon ricotta pancake. They were both really fresh and flavorful. The egg was served with beautiful lightly dressed field greens. The pancake had lots of great lemon flavor with pieces of lemon zest in the batter and topped with homemade lemon curd. The only disappointing note was that a taste of the syrup served with it led me to believe it was the usual corn syrup maple-flavored stuff rather than pure maple syrup. Given the price and overall quality of the meal otherwise, they should serve real maple syrup - or just not serve it at all. I didn't use it and the pancake was perfect on its own with the lemon curd.

I also had a mango mimosa, which I kind of regretted, since it was pricey, very large and too strong for me. But if you're not a lightweight like me, go for it.

Finally, the whole experience of being there is charming. I sat outside on the back terrace, which is very cute and filled with flowering plants. My waitress was super-friendly and helpful.