“Solid food, ok service, really small! Cash Only”
Review of Chloe's Cafe

Chloe's Cafe
Ranked #615 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Mission District
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I *love* to go out for breakfast. In fact, I'm leaving soon to go out for breakfast. It's like a hobby for me. So to hear the buzz about Chloe's and be staying within walking distance was unbearable. I made sure on our last day in the City we'd make it there. Tuesday morning, about 10am, we waited 15 minutes for an inside table. This is a really tiny place, and I had to keep my elbows really tucked the whole time. At first we were completely ignored for about 10 minutes. It seemed weird to me not to give us drinks right away. But then the server came and took our order, and it went from zero to 60. Coffee! Water! Food! I've been to many breakfast places with food at this level. Everything was fresh, tasty and well cooked but not spectacular. Croissants are liberally used and make dishes extra rich and special, if you like that. We do and had the croissant french toast and the croissant scrambled eggs. They were very tasty. The coffee was a standout - much better than the average cafe. They had to make more right in the middle of our meal so we spent a long time looking at our empty cups. We finally asked for refills. Couldn't find out what type of coffee it was.

You have to ask for the check. I just put some cash on the table; the server saw that and brought our check right away. We were in the cafe for an entire hour, which wouldn't seem so long except for the tucked elbows. I was pretty claustrophobic by the time we left.

Bottom line: This place didn't live up to the hype, but it was good. I wouldn't spend a long time waiting for it though.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and Chloe's does it right. What other restaurant serves ONLY real maple syrup with their pancakes and French toast? (None I've ever visited.) This neighborhood cafe serves high quality foods, pleasingly prepared, to locals in the know and visitors lucky enough to discover it. Servers are personable and efficient. Foods are prepared quickly and arrive hot. Ambiance inside is cozy and light. Specials are imaginative, wholesome and well-prepared. I stayed nearby and went again and again - there seemed no reason to look for an alternative source for a hearty breakfast.

Caveats: a good place will get crowded at popular times - put your name on the list and plan on a wait for weekend breakfast/brunch or at commuter time on weekdays. Outdoor seating relieves pressure on the limited indoor seating, but traffic noise and proximity may bother some. I can't comment on their lunches as I've only had breakfasts so far.

Reviewed October 12, 2009

The scrambles are outstanding - definitely some of the best I have ever had! Their special is usually delicious, or the Jarlsburg and avocado scramble...mmmmm!
I also recommend the croissant french toast with strawberries.

The restaurant itself is small and almost always packed, but the staff is very friendly and they keep your coffee nice and full. One thing to remember is it's cash only.

Reviewed May 12, 2009

Sorry to say but I would not recommend Chloe's. The food was okay - very average and limited menu- but the service was horrible. We never received our check. There was one server for the entire restaurant who was chatting behind the cooking area. We left the money on the table and walked out. Nothing special about this restaurant... they need to work on their customer service.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Singapore
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Croissant French Toast was delicious. Blueberry & Lemon Zest Muffin was very good too. Omelette & Wheat Walnut Toast tasted great too. Just be prepared to wait in line for a while

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook