“Consistently good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Plate

Blue Plate
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Plate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #616 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Valencia St.
Transit: The Blue Plate is located at the stop for the following bus lines: 14, 49 and 67. Bart riders should get off on the 24th and Mission station.
San Francisco
“Consistently good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Make reservations in advance though because it's popular and fairly small. If you like to see the chefs in action, sit at the bar or in the front room. I find it too distracting and I can't hear across the table. I prefer to sit up in the back, which is only slightly less noisy. The far back garden view room is the best if you want to converse. But it's all worth it, no matter where you sit. Known for it's amazing fried chicken, and the "Truck Stop" corn on the cob is unique and always tastey. Absolute best is the "Drunken Mac n Cheese." Never fail to order it.

• Visited February 2013
Cory O, Owner at Blue Plate, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you for dining with us and thank you for the wonderful review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your meal with us and we hope to see you again!

San Francisco, California
“Nothing Plebeian about this Blue Plate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have to admit, the name deceived me at first. My inner-snooty-foodie wanted to bypass this place as being a little too basic for a date night out. One glance at the menu quickly put me in my place...I was instantly wowed. "Smoked pork belly and seared albacore coriander, blood orange, aioli, green onion" What?! Yes, please.

The food that leaves the kitchen is truly a work of art. My husband and I sat at the bar which would be called the "chef's counter" in a white table cloth joint. We had front row seats to the kitchen magic unfolding in front of us and really enjoyed watching the food being prepped. As added bonus, we had the privilege of chatting up the chef behind the line as he created his masterpieces. We ordered four starters and decided to split a main dish and a side of mac and cheese. The deviled eggs serve as vessels for smoked trout and castelvetrano olive tapenade and are some of the best I've ever had. The pork belly was slightly overdone for my taste, but the flavor was delicious. The farro was incredibly heavy - weighed down by a rich Parmesan creme, egg yolk, and overabundance of oil. An edit of one or two of these ingredients would make this dish a star. Any one of them would be amazing, but all together are just too much. The pork chop was prepared perfectly but the bacon made for another uber rich dish. Because of this, we really weren't able to pair the mac and cheese with it and opted for a to go box.

For a restaurant to be a home run, it has to wow me with novel ingredient pairings and spot-on preparation. Blue Plate has definitely piqued my interest with their genius combinations and has left me wanting more. We will definitely be back.

• Visited April 2013
San Francisco, California
“One of the bests in San Fran”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Small, intimate, really flavorful food and impecable service.
Must tries are the farro app, meatloaf and fried chicken entrees. Basic but incredible.

Visited November 2012
Cory O, Owner at Blue Plate, responded to this review, November 14, 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your dinner with us!

Cory Obenour
Teddington, United Kingdom
“Little Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was a bit of an adventure for us Brits to get to Blue Plate on Bart but we're so glad we did. Food was fabulous: would highly recommend the melt in your mouth squid and Padron peppers to start but the star of the show was the green tomato bouillabaise - loads of fish and incredible flavour from the tomatoes. My husband - despite jet lag - made it to dessert and polished off the peach bread pudding in a nano-second. Wish they had restaurants like this in the UK!

• Visited September 2012
Canada
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

The menu here changes very frequently depending on locally available ingredients. The bread was amazing and all of the ingredients were extremely fresh. The food was wonderfully flavourful and unique.

We went to this restaurant because it was recommended to us by a local and now I'm recommending it to you!

• Visited June 2012