“Best Dim Sum!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ton Kiang
Ranked #205 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: The Richmond
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Best Dim Sum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Eating dim sum, or preparing to eat dim sum is just a really exciting experience. Eating dim sum at Ton Kiang is the the BEST dim sum experience.

I generally am picky about what I select when the waitstaff bring around the steaming selections, however, at Ton Kiang, it's not necessary. Everything is incredibly delicious, including the desserts. Also, for dim sum, this place is very reasonable, but the real advantage of dining here is the ambiance (nothing fancy, and not pretentious), and the incredibly and perfectly prepared dishes.

• Visited August 2013

Northern NJ
“I made the trip out based on the Tripadvisor reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I rely on Tripadvisor religiously as I've had so many good experiences based on the reviews there. This was NOT one of those times. Ton Kiang was a let down from a food and service perspective. I avoided the cheap Chinatown DimSum joints to go there and I suspect I would have gotten an equivalent meal there at a far more affordable cost.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Good, but”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Frommers ratesTon Kiang as the Dim Sum place to visit in San Francisco. Its way off the beaten path, and wasn't anything like the bustling haven it was described in the 2013 book. But the food was good, and so was the service. Just a long drive when you can probably find something comparable walking through China Town.

Visited July 2013
“Dirty Restaurant With So-So Dim Sum”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I wanted to have some Dim Sum for lunch. My wife is Chinese and she really didn’t like the restaurant at all. We were greeted by a command of ‘2nd floor’ then we had to squeeze through tables on the first floor to get to the stairs of the restaurant. I’m surprised the Fire Department allows them to have no clear path to the front door. If there were a fire, people would have problems to get to the exit.

During our lunch, two waitresses standing next to our table were talking about who had got fired because of something. One of them was trying to pursue more information even though the other one said let’s talk later on.

One man (did not serve us at all) picked up the check pad right in front of us to find out how much tips we left and then we notices there was some kind of body motion to express his opinion about the amounts of tip in the pad.

The Dim Sum came out of the kitchen was carried by hand instead of carts. The restaurant needs a good cleaning, carpet was dirty. The food overall was pretty good. But, the restaurant itself was overall needing cleaning.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thousand Oaks, California, United States
“Delicious Dim Sum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We have been going here for years. We live in LA and discovered it on a visit to SF, one of our favorite cities to visit. Ton Kiang is one of our family's favorite places to go to for dim sum. It's a drive out of the downtown area but, I think well- worth it. When we drive up to SF, it's usually the first place we head for to get our "soul food" when we arrive at lunchtime!

• Visited August 2012