“interesting to watch”

Powell and Market Cable Car Turnaround
Ranked #57 of 561 things to do in San Francisco
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Had heard about it, but had never seen it. It is all done by hand, and the guys seem to actually enjoy working together. Amazing this hasn't been automated yet, and I'm glad some things are as they were from the beginning.

2  Thank fionaruidh

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My kids bugged me about riding cable cars the whole day, so I bought four one day unlimited passes so we could get on and off the cable cars. I intended for them to take us up to Chinatown and then switch lines and go down to the wharf (they don't offer transfers). When we got to Chinatown, we walked to one of the marked cable car stops and waited for 15 minutes. A car came by and kept going on down the hill. I assume, but cannot confirm, that they were so full that they couldn't pick up any more people. However, we walked down the street a ways to try and catch the next car. It came and went without stopping.

I recommend only catching the cable cars one or two times and just paying for each trip if you like. It is fun, and should be done at least once. Be advised that they don't make all the stops, and more than likely, if the weather's nice, they may be full and you'll be waiting a while.

2  Thank arachulax
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We took a ride in December - absolutely no queues during the middle of the day. Saw the cars later in the day at rush hour and they were very busy. It was a fun way to see San Fran - we made a mistake catching the wrong car though. There are two lines so check which one you want.

1  Thank OrianaB108
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

After over an hour of lines, dodging homeless ppl, etc, I took uber which arrived in 3 min and was cheaper than the $6/person cable car ride. NOT worth the long wait...even on a week day!!

1  Thank Clubgoldberg
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Other than the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival 2013, we couldn't leave San Francisco without riding on the cable cars. This was quite an experience. I would never stand in such a long line to get on any mode of transportation, but this was worth it. In fact, the first time we attempted it from the bay, it was rather crowded and gave up, especially after a long drive. The next day we asked the desk clerk and they told us where to avoid the crowd to get on from our hotel. This was invaluable and an experience not to be missed. The ride was fantastic, the cable car driver paused at certain locations for riders to take pictures (no food or drinks allowed) and he seemed to know quite a few residents that happen to be out that morning, very impressive. Loved the scenery and the old buildings along the way. Coming back from the shopping district we couldn't avoid the line, it was at least an hour and 15 minute wait. There is a train station located across the turnaround, but why use it, your in San Francisco. We took the cable car back to Fisherman's Wharf.

1  Thank Happy-In-Vegas-1