“Wine List is Spectacular”
Review of Chapeau!

Reserve with OpenTable
Chapeau! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 5,885 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We've started coming here every couple of weeks - mostly because the wine list is so fabulous and the wine pairing recommendations from Chef Phillipe are always perfect. It's hard to find decently priced wine lists that are centered around French wine in San Francisco, and the owner has lovingly crafted a very exciting list. I also like the very attentive and Old World service. I have never once thought, "Where's our waiter?" while eating here. I stick to seafood here -- adore the Trio of Salmon appetizer with capers and egg and the mussels are very well-executed. The cheese plate is generous and delicious.

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Based on TA reviews we booked here as our grand finale dinner on our last night in SF. We arrived a bit early for our reservation and Phillipe greeted us in a warm, welcoming and gracious way, seating us at a high top table with water and a fine wine list while we waited for our third party to arrive. The place was full, vibrant with well choreographed attentive and efficient service. The ambience, attention to detail and cordial response and suggestions to our questions was a delight. Then there was the food...omg. Amazing flavor combinations from sweet to savory to delicate... All masterfully combined and presented beautifully. Pascal was very knowledgeable suggesting wines and cordials to pair along the way. For firsts we had trio of salmon, the pear tart, the escargot.... All great. For entrees we had the cassoulet, the boullibase and the skate also excellent. Desserts included special of the day lemon tarte, the Napoleon which was delicate and decadent at the same time, and the trio of sorbets. When I couldn't decide between the Napoleon and the French toast Phillipe suggested the Napoleon... Then later brought out the french toast! Fabulous all around. We were there from 7:30-11PM, felt genuinely, graciously and affectionately attended to from beginning to end.Clearly Phillipe and his staff love what they do and it shows! We will be back!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

A short cab ride from the CBD, this gem is worth the taxi fare!

The menu items encompasses very well executed French cuisine. Wonderful flavours ... I thoroughly enjoyed my Salade Landaise. As far as hospitality Chef Phillipe seemingly appears out of nowhere to welcome you and to ensure you are enjoying your experience. In our case, he picked up very quickly that we are French speaking which resulted in several visits to our table during which Phillipe recited his own poetry.

The evening was most enjoyable, the food was great and left us feeling like we hit the jackpot when choosing Chapeau. Chapeau Mr Phillipe!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have been to Chapeau about 4 times now and it used to be one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco! My husband and I had our first date at this restaurant and it was so romantic. The tables are set properly and they make sure that you are taken care of.

The food we had here (prior to merging with Clementine) was excellent! Starting from amuse bouche to the dinner everything was simply delicious. Some of my favorites are Trio of Salmon, Salade Landaise and Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. The balance of flavors in the food is very well done by the chef. Also, not to forget the desserts! Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake just superb!! Must try each time you go there :) They even gave us extra desserts cause they found out that it was our first date. The servers were very friendly and the chef personally greeted each table.

Chapeau! is now merged with Clementine so I feel like a few things have been compromised. The space is not big enough for all the reservations they have accepted, the place is overcrowded! The service seems to be a bit chaotic as well, not as top notch as it used to be where the chef would come speak to each table individually and ask how the food is. I wish they work on their shortcomings and make it as lovely as it used to be.

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I was recommended to go to Chapeau at my next visit to San Francisco. What a good idea! I truly got a new favorite over here! A bit remote location, but the atmosphere and the food was worth the while finding it. The chef greeted me welcome, so I chose his full menu of the day. An excellent choice paired with superb wines. The champagne should not be served in the tiny flute glass at a place like this. Larger glasses please! A great Sonoma Cab was though served in a wide nice glass. I will definately be back as soon as possible.