“Somewhere between poor and fair . . .”
Review of Chapeau!

Chapeau!
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapeau! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #239 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Reviewed April 23, 2013

First, the good: The food, as most reviewers state, is very good. I disagree with reviewers who believe it is the best French food in San Francisco, but it is good. I don't know what other folks ate that led them to conclude that the prices are amazing. Our meal came to $175 for two people (including tip, mind you). Not incredibly overpriced, but not a good deal, either. The menu is quite traditional and each dish is well executed. The chef spends an inordinate amount of time on the floor of the restaurant, kissing cheeks, greeting regulars and gladhanding. More time in the kitchen might make things run more smoothly. The wine list is extensive and our waiter appeared to know nothing about wine. A sommelier to assist the waiters would be a very helpful addition to the staff.
Now for the bad: We were seated, and before we were even greeted by our waiter, the tables on either side of us had received their water, wine and their waiter(s) explained the menu to them. We asked for water three times before we finally were given our glasses of water! After a significant amount of time had elapsed, I flagged someone down and asked for someone to help us. We had questions about the menu, which we found a little confusing at first. The waiter who came to our aid ("I understand you need some assistance." Ya think??!!) was abrupt, rude and condescending. He interupted my daughter as she attempted to ask questions ("I'll get to that!" she was rudely informed). Our waiter corked the bottle of wine we ordered, and ran back to the kitchen for a replacement bottle. It appeared that he had never opened a bottle of wine prior to this. When our food arrived, there was no explanation of what was on the plate. I realize that one should assume we knew what we ordered, but a little refresher as the food was served would have been a welcome touch.
The food was very good. But not worth the frustration of dealing with an incompetent and rude wait staff. Our waiter was nice enough, but clearly in over his head. Rather than ensure that ever patron get a kiss on the cheek, the chef should ensure that every patron be treated with respect and receive their food and drink in a timely manner.
Last but not least, the cheesey placement of the meal check in a hat is just plain stupid. We will NOT be back.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Came for the early bird prix fixe (say like: "pree feeks", yes, I had to look it up) and we were very happy with the service, the quality of the food and the value. On this visit, we were surrounded by a more senior crowd who also enjoy early dinner (we're in our 40's). We started with a glass of champagne with our mesclun salad with fried camembert. I had the skate wing (wonderful!) and my husband had the duck a la orange (delicious!). I ended with crème brulee which I couldn't finish, it was enough for two people, and my husband had Nuage de Noix which he liked. The chef came around to meet everyone and check how we were enjoying dinner. He even came after us and told us to come back inside to wait while he called a cab so we didn't freeze waiting for one. Super nice! This restaurant is always on our list for "must eat here" while in San Francisco.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Chapeau is a little hard to find, and stuck in a neighborhood everybody goes to for Burmese and Korean food, but it managed to become our favorite French restaurant in the city. We've never gone wrong with anything on the menu, from the wine to the desserts, and the chef always comes out and says hello and checks to see how the food is. Wish we could afford to eat at Chapeau every night!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

First of all, I am an unashamed foodie. My Honda Civic is 14 years old, but I spend a considerable amount of money on my groceries - I like Whole Foods, Bi-Rite Market, Lunardi's, etc. Chapeau is hands down my favorite French restaurant in San Francisco - I have eaten at La Folie, Rue Lepic, Fleur de Lys, and Jeanne D'Arc. The prices are amazing for the caliber for food - if you eat before 6 pm, you get the Early Bird Menu - 3 courses for less than $30. I had dinner at Chapeau recently with a friend to celebrate her new job. Since it was 7:15 pm, we opted for the 3 course menu for $40 (still a very good deal). We had the goat cheese Napoleon as an hor d'oevre, which was delicious. It came with sun dried tomatoes, diced peppers, diced eggplant, and of course goat cheese in a puff pastry. For the main course, I had the skate wing with a brown butter sauce and she had the filet mignon with bone marrow. Both of our dishes were delicious. She had studied a year abroad in Paris and it reminded her of the bone marrow her host family served her. For dessert I had a meringue like confection in an orange sauce (Nuage de Noix) and she had the profiteroles. Each dish was beautifully executed and presented and the owner couldn't have been friendlier. Laissez le bontemps rouler!

1  Thank wctraveler34
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Always friendly and always delicious. You will most likely meet the chef/owner when you arrive and expect a warm French double kiss when you leave. In addition to the food being wonderful the prices are very reasonable. Parking is a bit difficult - but worth driving around to find a spot.