“An experience not to be missed”
Review of Chapeau!

Chapeau!
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapeau! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #239 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Not only is the food divine, the chef Philippe Gardelle is not only talented and passionate about food, he is the warmest host I have ever encountered - he really loves his guests.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We ate at Chapeau! last year during a visit to San Francisco, and because we found it to be an excellent restaurant, it was the first place we headed for dinner last week. We were not disappointed. I cannot imagine a more welcoming chef. He greets everyone with enthusiasm. He seems genuinely glad to have you eat at his establishment. His staff is friendly, professional, and efficient. I had the corn puree soup (dee-lish!), and the succulent pork tenderloin. Whatever sauce was on that pork was phenomenal. My husband had the onion soup and rack of lamb, which he said was awesome. We split some sort of delectibly light dessert that had crushed pistachios on top and it was the perfect end to the meal. Adding up appetizers, entrees, dessert, wine, and coffee, the tab was amazingly reasonable, and we're not even talking the Early Bird Special. Make sure you don't miss this gem of a place when you visit San Fran.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The cassoulet is delicious.Call and check if it is on the menu that day.This neighborhood bistro is small,tables are crowded, it is noisy, parking is limited to the neighborhood and if you arrive when everyone else does you may have to wait for something, but NOT because the owner, his wife and staff do not care.If you are visiting and expect 5 star dining, find someplace else on town.If a local French bistro is what you are looking for than this is it!We love Chapeau!!!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I enjoyed an incredible meal here Sunday evening. We felt that we received a wonderful value and impeccable service from the get go. The place was completely booked but they were able to get us a table for two following a cancellation. Alex, the host, was incredibly kind and attentive. My boyfriend and I each ordered the 3 course tasting menu for around $40 per person. I couldn't have been happier. I ordered the pear d'ambert tart appetizer and the wild caught Skate Wing for my entree - it was AMAZING. I also stole a taste of my boyfriends Filet Mignon - perfectly cooked and the sauces on both of our entrees were exquisite. Dessert was lovely - I enjoyed a french apple tart with hazelnut ice cream. Everything was done to perfection - flavor, presentation, and service. Additionally, the chef himself made a point of coming out from the kitchen and was present and personable - even clearing tables and picking up the check in order to support the staff. Needless to say I was amazed. We stayed for nearly three hours and never felt rushed. Atmosphere was romantic and cozy. The service warm and not the least bit snobby or pretentious and the food was an amazing value. Two 3-course meals plus a glass of wine just over $100.00 with tax and tip for the two of us. This place is a must. Please make a point of going and get a reservation in advance - you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Very friendly and attentive staff, nice atmosphere, good drinks, but a hit/miss with the food. The bar serves outstanding cocktails - with a nightly mixture of their own design which is always fun to try. The starters were very good - tuna tartar and sea scallops - but the main course (halibut) was a bit disappointing; perhaps the starters got our hopes too high. The fish was cooked well, but it was not seasoned at all and the tomato sauce it sat upon was very spicy - overwhelming the fish. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends visiting the city, but advise them to not try the halibut.