“Will definitely go back!”
Review of Mescolanza

Mescolanza
Ranked #1,199 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Reviewed March 12, 2012

AMAZING FOOD in a casual intimate setting. The decor is very simple--i.e no art work on the walls. It's literally a small room with tables and the focus is THE FOOD. (as it should be).
Must haves: Linguini with cream sauce with fresh clams, tiramisu, chocolate flan.
Make a reservation as I saw many people waiting outside.
Thank you "Check Please!" for referring me to this little haven nestled in the Outer Richmond.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I love this restaurant because of the food, but always good back (even though I no longer live in SF) for the reasonable prices and great service. Everything in this little trattoria is delicious and fresh: salad, bread, gnocchi (theirs is by far the best), and pasta. I started going to this restaurant in 1993 or 94 and its still my favorite Italian place. I just wish I could visit more often. If you're a tourist, this place is way out in the Richmond district, but a cab will only cost you about $10 from downtown, or you can take a bus (like the #5). Don't let the distance put you off!

1  Thank Mahjarunner
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Mescolanza is a small, intimate, little, neighborhood, mom-and-pop restaurant that serves Italian food located on Clement Street between 22nd and 23 Avenues. It's discreetly tucked under a small pink awning. It's my favorite restaurant in my neighborhood and I've been going there for 20 years!

Please note, parking on the Clement Street corridor is difficult (almost as bad as North Beach) but there is a parking lot directly across the street from the restaurant (as Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing!").

This restaurant is small and seats only 49 patrons at one time so be sure to make reservations.

My favorite appetizers are the Carpaccio and Bruschetta. The plate of Carpaccio is presented with extremely thinly sliced beef draped on the plate. There are small mounds of capers, chopped red onions, shaved Parmesan cheese, and mustard paste. Mix all the ingredients and enjoy!

The Bruschetta is toasted french bread topped with a delicious sprinkling of chopped Roma tomatoes mixed with fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, and sea salt. In this day and age of almost tasteless tomatoes (inbreeding is never a good thing), the tomatoes in this dish are ripe, packed full of flavor, and fill your mouth with a burst of flavor.

The Pear Pizza (Yeah, I know, it sounds kind of strange but darling, it's divine intervention on a plate.) You have got to try this!

The Osso Bucco was excellent. The meat was very tender and flavorful in its rich burgundy-like sauce. I loved the vegetables and that's saying something for a meat eater like me. The vegetables were carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash done just right in that perfect combination of buttery, tender and crunchy at the same time.

We had a veal chop off the "Specials Menu" that was sautéed in its own juices with a blend of slow-cooked root vegetables surrounding it. It came with silky, creamy mashed potatoes that had a hint of garlic flavor and a serving of the vegetable combination I spoke of earlier. Once again, excellent!

We had the crème caramel, the tiramisu and the chocolate flan with amaretto and crushed amaretti cookies. The tiramisu and crème caramel were as expected, delicious. That chocolate flan was EXCEPTIONAL! Sinfully, silky smooth texture on a bed of crushed cookies with the hint of amaretto flavors. While we ate all the desserts, the chocolate flan won hands down.

3  Thank Sonnefire
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I checked TripAdvisor for restaurants near my hotel and found positive reviews for Mescolanza. I went there on a Sunday night. It wasn't very crowded (I was there just after 5 PM, which is probably why).

The restaurant itself isn't all that big - probably about 20 tables. It's sparsely decorated with golden amber paint, a large urn of flowers in the entrance, and paper on top of white tablecloths. Not a lot of frou-frou, but still very dignified. The waiter was prompt, showed me the menu and recommended the specials.

I looked at the list wines by the glass- there are about eight or ten, starting at about $6.95 and up to about $12.95 per glass. I ordered a Montepulciano for about $8 a glass.

I ordered a special salad - spring mix, grilled eggplant slices, roasted red pepper, fresh mozzarella, and chopped almonds in a sweet-ish vinaigrette. It was all very fresh and the flavors went well together.

Then my main course of the special gnocchi arrived - the best I have ever eaten. It was hand-made with spinach, incredibly tender and light in a very light creamy sauce with pine nuts. They can serve me that in heaven. I finished with a hazelnut flan - again, light and tender.

They seemed very surprised to see me taking photos of the food - the chef came out (maybe he thought I was a crazy restaurant critic??). Everyone was so nice and the food was wonderful. I recommend this place!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 11, 2008

You may need reservations but the food is amazing and in my belief underpriced. You can't get any better Italian food in North Beach- at the price you are making a mistake ifyou don't go

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook