“First time trying Burmese food”

Burma Superstar Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese, Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Excellent and a great time. I'm already looking for a Burmese restaurant in NY. We were a large group of 9 people which made it easy to order a lot of dishes to try. It was my first time there and will definitely go back. We tried the tea leaf salad which is a much, the rainbow salad is a must too, lamb, pumpkin curry, green beans, oxtail and lots more. Extremely friendly staff.

1  Thank jfnytravels

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Every time I'm in SF, I try to make it to this place, specifically for their tea leaf salad. It's hard for me to describe exactly *why* that salad is so good, but it's more than just the tea leaves. The whole mix is amazing.

Tonight, I decided to order the veggie samusa appetizer and that also blew my mind.

I dined solo tonight and they were able to seat me right away at the communal table, which was a huge bonus, because there is typically a long wait.

The wait time is one downside of heading here, since they don't take reservations. The other downside is the location, since it's about a $15 cab ride from Union Square.

The neighborhood, Richmond, is interesting, however. If you have time to kill, check out Green Apple Bookstore across the street.

1  Thank Bonnie S
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I went to this gem of a restaurant in the Richmond District of SF for lunch. Many tourists were there, as I discovered from the surrounding tables. Every meal looked great. I had the chicken curry with coconut rice. It was delicious. I must come back to try the other interesting meals.

1  Thank DayTripper084
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Highly overrated....we are Burmese so we can say this cuisine is not authentic Burmese....place was very very busy so I guess people really like the food but it's definitely not Burmese...we had to wait 2 hours just to get in because the host kept letting the party of 2 or 3 before us saying we were a party if six so we ll have to wait...as for the waiters they were in a hurry to get guests out as quickly as they could....they were not rude but def in haste....in conclusion people who want to try something different than thai and chinese they should try burma superstar but for people who want authentic Burmese food they are in for a huge disappointment just don't waste your time....

3  Thank sulali01
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The place is so popular that it is very hard to get in. At our first attempt we gave up and went to the very good Vietnamese restaurant Mai's across the street instead. At our second attempt the wait was about an hour. We then chose to get their take away instead which we got fairly even when they were so busy. The food is indeed excellent and it is a lot of it. We ordered to much.

1  Thank FredrikBK