“Great cheap food in expensive neighborhood” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Union Square
Austin, TX
“Great cheap food in expensive neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My hubby and I are big fans of "[--] Mexican food" as we call it. Perhaps not the best nickname, but it's more a term of endearment. Especially for this little hole-in-the-wall. I was looking for an easy carry-out dinner to take back to our hotel and found this on the "Around Me" app on my phone. First night (yep, went back a second time) we had the Huevos Rancheros and the chicken soup. The soup was delicious. lots of carrots, rice, chicken and flavor. The Huevos Rancheros tasted so, so good with loads of flavor and no spice. (The "no spice" gives it extra credit from me, I figure if you like the food spicy, add it yourself with the hot sauces...otherwise don't inflict that pain on the rest of us). The second night they were out of chicken soup (bummer) so I ordered the beef soup (can't remember the name). Honestly, I only had a couple bites. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the chicken soup that I was hoping for. Had the Huevos again and also the Flautas. Dang, these flautas reminded me of a little tex-mex place I used to go to with my mom in Houston, TX. So yummy. wish this place was closer to my home :)
All in all, I'd say don't go out of your way for this little taqueria, but if you're within a 4 block walking distance it's totally worth your time if you need an easy, cheap dinner option.
Yum!!