“Finally a proper Asian BBQ”
Review of YakiniQ BBQ

YakiniQ BBQ
Ranked #1,316 of 6,424 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Korean
Neighborhood: Japantown
Neighborhood: Japantown
Reviewed May 31, 2016

We had been touring the US for a while and as I used to live in Asia, I love Korean BBQs. For the trip until this point, I have been overcharged for such a tiny amount of meat and limited in what I can order. This place was exactly like those I ate at when I lived in Hong Kong in the 1990s.

There are 2 entrances, if you want the BBQ, take the stairs to the right. This place is busy but we did get seated immediately.

You can chose from 2 menus, one has more expensive items on it, which seemed to be the only difference. You can choose 3 meats, then after that you can add one meat at a time, so you don't order food you don't eat. We had no issues with ordering, we weren't made to feel rushed and we weren't refused anything - all of which I have read in reviews. The day we were here our service was excellent, our grill was changed at least 3 times as we ordered food. The meat plates had a lot of meat on them and we found this to be great value for money and was our star-find of the trip.

I'd definitely go back here

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed April 21, 2016 via mobile

There is a YakiniQ BBQ and a YakiniQ Cafe beside it. We only went to the cafe and had iced coffee, macarons and fruits on shaved ice (the latter 2 were good). It was overpriced though.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed March 20, 2016

Same name, same location, but focus has changed. Now a great place for a coffee or tea and a sweet. Nice selection of pastries, although mine was a bit tired. The ginger honey tea, though, was so great I went back for more the next day. Made with slices of ginger and flavored with honey. You couldn't ask for anything better on a foggy day or for a foggy throat.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed October 16, 2015

I was shocked I never knew about the YakiniQ. My wife and I took a short trip to Japantown for a couple nights before she had our lovely baby boy. Our "baby-moon" if you will, lol! Anyways, she recommended we go he since our hotel was just two blocks away and a lot of her friends spoke highly of this restaurant.

We walked up the stairs into an incredibly smokey dining room. I was shocked at how busy the place was. Every table stuffed with people. We approached the host and he placed our name on a long, long, long list and said it would be about 45 min. well, the forty five minutes came and passed and my wife and I were getting a bit impatient. Give her a break, she was literally 9 months pregnant! We asked the host how much longer it might be and he gave us that look. You know the one. He was thinking at least another 30 to an hour. He said he would call us on my phone if we wanted to head back to the hotel! So we did! I figured it was a longshot if he would actually call me back. The place was soooo busy! Amazingly enough, about an hour later, my cell rang and it was him! We ran over as fast as a hungry 9 month pregnant couple could!

We sat and ordered a bunch of different meats. Short ribs, chicken, and a type of beef. They brought large plates of the different meats and we began grilling them up on the burners in front of us. They accompany the meats with some kim che and other Korean sides. I kinda just stuck to the meats as I am not a fan of kim che but I did try it and it was pretty good! I think some potatoes came with it too. The staff was helpful too, even tho it was insanely busy in there.

To sum it up, YakiniQ is a great spot in the city that would be fun for a party, date, a small group of friends, or if you need your Korean BBQ fix! Give them some time to seat you tho!!!

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed August 13, 2015

YakiniQ is totally worth the wait for their all-you-can-eat Korean bbq. Flushing down everything with some Korean beer is highly recommended. Staff is patient and incredibly helpful. I'm definitely coming back!

Date of visit: March 2015

Been to YakiniQ BBQ? Share your experiences!