“Excellent choice for a quiet dinner off-the-beaten path”
Review of Sauce

Sauce
Reserve with OpenTable
Sauce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #516 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Off Kearney Between Bush & Pine
Transit: Off Kearney Between Bush and Pine we are about a block and a half from the Montgomery BART/MUNI and all the market street line, the cable car is a block in the other direction @ California and the 1 buss is two blocks. All in all we are in a transit hub, you can get to us.
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Excellent choice for a quiet dinner off-the-beaten path”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Overall
- On a quiet lane of restaurants not far from Union Square or Chinatown so the location is convenient
- service is excellent as our host and waiter was attentive and social
- reasonable prices for top-notch food quality, esp. for SF
- would definitely recommend for small groups (maybe up to 10 due to the size) and couples/friends
- great option for seafood

Good
- Food options that included seafood, pasta, usual meat and vegetarian options
- High quality food for both appetizers and main courses, with larger-than-average portions
- Great service from staff
- Nice decor and excellent location
- Allows you to bring your own wine with a corking fee, which is a nice option
- Clean bathrooms
- Not hard to find on Belden Place

Not-as-Good
- Not a huge place so perfect for my friend and I but probably not enough room for very large groups
- Few traditional tables as although the place was pretty empty when we dined, we sat at a table where one of us had a couch seat and the other had a high chair with a relatively small table; I looked around and didn't see any better options
- These are small items that really shouldn't take away from the whole experience which I'm confident would impress most

We were recommended this place from our hotel as a street with a few restaurant options and were not disappointed. We had dinner here on a Sunday night so I'm not sure how busy it gets during the day and other times, or if reservations are needed at other times. I started with a lobster bisque that was ok, and then moved onto the short ribs which was fantastic...I wish I could have finished it but the portion was too much for me. My friend had two seafood dishes for his app and main, which I've unfortunately forgotten but both were very good as well. If coming back to SF, I would definitely try and come back here again!!! Worth a try.

CA
“Ate here on a whim”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was traveling with fellow faculty and students and the faculty chose this restaurant after asking our concierge what was close by that did something Californian. We'd eaten Italian, seafood and Chinese on our trip and needed a consensus on that night's dinner food! Students were otherwise occupied so it was an adult only dinner.
We ate inside as the air had chilled down and had the mini bacon wrapped meat loaf on mashed potato, the Mac and Cheese and the crab sandwich. All were good. My colleague said the bread on the crab sandwich was excellent.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The restaurant wasn't frightfully busy and our evening was only marred by loud talkers at the table beside us...not the restaurant 's fault!

San Francisco, California
“Sauce's newest location”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

How surprised was I too see that Sauce in Hayes Valley had opened a second location in Belden Place? The menu is the same and is really good. As with most of the places in the alley, it's eating al fresco that is the draw. We started at the bar with some signature cocktails - my choice "the Happy Hippy" was a very nice vodka/sparkling lemonade drink - so good I had two.

We happened to be dining during the first "Dine About Town" day - where restaurants offer three course menus. I started with the corn and heirloom tomato salad, followed by fried chicken - Mmmm. The only disappointment was the desert - cookie dough bon bons.

Definitely a good choice if you are headed to Belden Place - but be prepared to bypass all of the other restaurants on the way - seems like each place has someone in from trying to hustle folks into their place.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Everything clicked”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My family and I had come across a couple of restaurants in the alley way on Belden street and we decided to try out this place. Right from the get go it was great! The service, food and atmosphere was fantastic. We sat inside as it was too cold to sit outside knowing SF. The seafood chowder was quite filling and it hit the spot and the side of mac and cheese that my brother and I shared was great as well. My parents shared some small plates and were really happy with the food. The basketball was on on tv so that entertained us for the whole night. We struck up a conversation with our waiter who was very friendly, helpful and actually suggested some activities to do in the San Francisco area which we tried the next day! Overall it was a fun night and I would not hesitate to go back!

Visited April 2013
New York
“Good for a quick bite”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Visited this restaurant recently while staying at the Omni hotel. It's located in an alley with quite a few other restaurants. If your low on choices and looking for somewhere quick to eat, this is a good place. The night I dined in, the place was on the emptier-side. The staff seemed nice enough. The place as a whole looks like your average bar, pretty dim inside. I only ordered appetizers and a beer, but the cajun fries and empanadas are a winner.

• Visited December 2011