“Tasty broth, good portion size”

Turtle Tower Restaurant
Order Online
Ranked #2,471 of 6,501 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Mission Bay
Description: Our gourmet dishes are prepared with love and care to preserve the flavors of Northern Vietnam. We use only fresh free-range chicken, high quality beef, and our noodles are always freshly made. Our soups are served without bean sprouts, basil, and hoisin sauce, as is the Ha Noi tradition.
Reviewed March 24, 2019 via mobile

This is Northern Vietnam style pho.
Do not come expecting Saigon style pho where you get the bean sprouts, the basils and the hoisin sauce.

The broth here is a umami bomb, I usually get the regular size and is just right for me. They do offer large bowls for bigger appetites. You can also add-on noodles.

Menu is not big, there are some snacks and rice plates as well but most diners do come for the Pho.

<$10 a bowl, nothing fancy in terms of decor. Great for lunch!

Date of visit: March 2019
Write a reviewReviews (12)

Reviewed January 18, 2018

Hands down the best Pho in San Francisco. Broth is rich and silky. The stir fried noodle with vegetable and chicken or beef is a unique take on a traditional favorite. Whenever it's raining, or I'm sick, or just back from a hot beach vacation and want a reminder of what I love about San Francisco, I come to Turtle Tower or get takeout. It's the best Pho in the West. Very busy at lunchtime so plan ahead or just get takeout.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed June 22, 2017

We tried their Pho and feel the southern version is more to our liking, maybe because its clear broth and more salty sweet flavor? Turtle Tower is in the middle of nowhere, but they are always busy and their pricing is very reasonable, just wish they would give me a little more noodles.

We do like the ice coffee!

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed July 6, 2016

Don't be fooled by the cafeteria décor -- this place delivers up a delicious basic pho. Clear clean broth, exactly the right amount of noodles, and super fresh meat combine for a classic pho experience.

Service is not why you come here. Sodas are served in the can. Parking is next to impossible. Come anyway. Eat the pho. Get an imperial roll on the side. Smile. A lot.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed June 27, 2016

OK, I am not sure why I was dragged there, but Yuk Yuk Yuk. What kind of food is that? I have had Vietnamese food before and it is by far tastier. I ordered the Beef sautéed in red wine (#17?), and what a bad choice I have made. First the meat was served in a small bowl that has "wine sauce", which is far from it. I think the way it cooked, is after boiling the meat, they added some red wine and cooked for couple of minutes and poured it in the bowl. Second the meat had a lot of fat on it more than the lean, it was like treasure hunt to find beef. The soup that came with the order was OK, since all of them taste the same, some made up broth (nothing special). I also tasted the Chicken Noodle soup that my friend was having, and it's the same as everywhere else, Broth, Noodles and pieces of chicken (with skin - yuk). We also ordered the Imperial Rolls and they were aaaaay, barely ok, nothing special. So save your money and look for a better Vietnamese restaurant, there are a lot of them in the SF. The restaurant accepts cash only which usually tells a lot about a place. Can't complain to credit Card Company and they have a lot to hide, besides cash, which is not my business - but just saying.

Date of visit: January 2016