“Awesome BBQ on Mission”

Southpaw BBQ & Southern Cooking
Reserve with OpenTable
Southpaw BBQ & Southern Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,210 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Mission District
Cross street: 18th St
Transit: Mission & 18th: Bus Lines 33,49 Mission & 16th: Bus Lines (14,22,49), MUNI, BART
Reviewed December 14, 2013

An American friend describes things she likes as 'Awesome' so in homage to her, I have to describe a recent visit to Southpaw as 'Really Awesome'. Took a bus alon Mission from my hotel to 18th Street and walked a few yards to the restaurant. From the outside it is quite anonymous with low key storefront. Inside is vault of a room in the industrial style. The menu is interseting almost boutique BBQ compared with Memphis Minnie's. I had Smoked an Chopped Whole Hog with spiced pumpkin and coleslaw as sides. The pork was extremely well seasoned and tasty as were the sides. One of the best pieces of BBQ cooking I have ever had. Added to this local craft beer and the place is a winner. Definitely my best find in San Francisco fro a longtime

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Enjoyed a great dinner at Southpaw. Three mains were ordered, the dinosaur beef rib, the fried chicken and the catfish. All threenofnus really enjoyed our food. I was sceptical about ordering the rib because I tend to lean towards pork ribs over beef but I was not disappointed at all. It was the best beef rib I have ever had.

For starters we had the chicken fried pork ribs and the pulled goat, also big winners. We had no room for dessert and I couldn't even make a serious dent in my side dishes. I do admit throw that I wasn't blown away with the taste of my sides but that is probably my fault for trying things I usually wouldn't order - I felt like experimenting. My wife however said her macaroni and cheese side dish was AWESOME!

Every member of the staff was great and friendly which of course makes the experience even better.

I recommend Southpaw!

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

To start off, the place is clean and has a good BBQ joint flair. On the table there are 6 sauces (Memphis, Hot,Mustard,Watermelon, eastern NC, Chilli Garlic). I ordered the ribs. You can choose 2 sides with hush puppies. The food was good. The sauces needed more vinegar for my taste but I would come back just to try the other sides. The black Pepper Brei Mac and Cheese was very good.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am from the south and a friend took me here because she knew I would like it. And boy did I! It is a must for anyone who enjoys good southern cooking with a twist of san francisco high society. They don't take reservations - but arent really needed.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not only was the pulled pork , authentic, smokey and delicious ... it came with the best sauces.
I am a professional chef in Northern California and I am hard to please.
It appeared to be a place where locals came. We sat at the bar and the bartender was incredibly helpful, kind, and pleasant. Helped us order and helped me order a really nice IPA.
They have a huge selection of beers.
My friends in the Mission turned me on to this restaurant and now I have told my friends in San
Francisco about it...
Yummy yummy in the tummy. They are a great place for to go orders ... When you get your to go order , you choose which sauce you want. The hush puppies were luscious.. And they have a fab take on Macarone and cheese.
Don't miss it