“Disappointed this time”

Ranked #1,015 of 5,860 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Larkin
Transit: Bus #38 stops 1 block away from our restaurant (Larkin & Geary)
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant about times, food is always delicious. Always been there at off hours when not crowded. Always fed too much and eat it anyhow because its so delicious. But this time at 8:30 on a Sunday was a letdown. They said hello and gave a menu and I ordered the special on the board, I haven't noted on past visits they never mention the special unless you ask. It was many I and it took about 20 minutes and I noted everyone else was getting some of their delicious bread. Not me. Not before or during the meal. They weren't real busy so I was perplexed when 20 minutes after finishing and waving my bank card every time they looked my way I still didn't get a bill. So I went to the register and got ignored there other customers came and went from the cash register. The owner handed the takeout to one and said "oh wait, you need bread with this"!! Meanwhile they finally charged me and no thank you or anything. I must have looked really pissed by that time and stayed pissed for a full hour, not to mention that the meal was not satisfying and I ended up stopping elsewhere for a snack!!!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We always stop here when in the city. The food is authentic and the service wonderful. The neighborhood s not as scary as it looks. Give this place a try.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

A La Turca is not fancy. It's a neighborhood joint with authentic home-style Turkish food. Great grilled meats, nice fresh vegetables, Efes beer--and you can easily get out for less than $20 person.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a whole-in-the- wall and location borders Tenderloin which does not look very tempting to the tourist...though it is safer that it may look!
They have a variety of Turkish dishes - try pide, a Turkish pizza, crusty and filled with vegetable and/or meat, cheese, etc.
They also serve the traditional skewers, donner, etc - everything comes with a salad and prices are very reasonable.
Service is very good as well.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was a real find. The mixed appetizer platter and the iskender kebab with chicken (a new combo for me) were both terrific. Friendly service and modestly priced wines.

The decor is nothing fancy, but the mural of Turkish motifs is charming.

We enjoyed it so much we returned for Sunday dinner when the special is manti, small lamb-filled dumplings in a creamy white sauce.