“Cool venue with a great selection of dishes”
Review of Foreign Cinema

Foreign Cinema
Reserve with OpenTable
Foreign Cinema is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mission District
Cross street: 21st St.
Transit: MUNI: 14 Mission bus; BART: 16th & 24th/Mission station
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Came here with a group of friends for dinner, we had a drink in the bar attached while waiting for our table, which is a cool little bar in its own right.

We were suitably impressed by the selection, and the server was very helpful in explaining some of the dishes. There are some interesting choices, and a great selection of beverages available as well.

The venue is mainly outdoor, with a movie projected on a wall behind the dining area, and old-time drive-in style speakers on the walls. We didn't watch any of the movie, but it was a nice touch and added to the atmosphere. There are heaters all around the dining area, so you are certain to feel comfortable temperature wise even though sitting outdoors.

On delivery of the food, the server had made a mistake with my order, but they quickly rectified this, so it was not a problem. The food was good, with some interesting flavours going on (I had the peppercorn chicken). Oysters were available, and some members of the group partook, but these are not for me, so I couldn't comment.

Definitely worth a look if you are in the Mission area of San Francisco, it's a slightly different take on high-end dining which I quite enjoyed, and they will have something to suit all palates.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

This is a great restaurant in the Mission District, exceptional food, great wine list, friendly and helpful staff. The outdoor area has a great vibe and was lots of fun. Would definitely return next time in San Francisco.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We were seated inside and I will warn you that seating is very tight and the restaurant is quite loud. The server was exceptionally knowledgeable about the menu which is helpful, because it is very detailed. I'm broadening my culinary horizons, but the menu didn't do the dishes justice. Our server made some great suggestions and we enjoyed we everything that we tried, and glad we did try. All of the courses were flavorful and exceed my expectations, dessert is not to be missed. It is very unique atmosphere and would love to go back and try it and sit in some of the other areas of the restaurant.

1  Thank starcastle
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a really fun restaurant. If you can be seated outside in the courtyard do so - they really do show movies while you eat! The fish is fresh and the wine selections are great. It was worth the $30 (?) Cab ride to the Tenderloin district where it is. Fun atmosphere and an eclectic place.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

EVERYTHING we tasted was absolutely delicious. The calamari was like nothing I've ever tasted - scrumptious! The salmon was remarkable. For dessert, I had the cheesecake with apricot and of course, was not disappointed. The ambiance of the restaurant is a treat as well. If in San Francisco, you must visit.