“Rude Service”
Review of Foreign Cinema

Foreign Cinema
Reserve with OpenTable
Foreign Cinema is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 5,711 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mission District
Cross street: 21st St.
Transit: MUNI: 14 Mission bus; BART: 16th & 24th/Mission station
San Francisco, California
“Rude Service”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Maybe our server was having an off night. I swear she rolled her eyes at us more than once, and I'm not exactly sure why. I thought our dinner was rather bland. I read in other reviews that brunch is good, but I know that there are too many other restaurants in SF for me to ever return to this one.

Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Austin, Texas
“Excellent, but unobtrusive service and an innovative menu”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had reservations for 7pm on a Friday night and the restaurant was very busy, but we were sat in a room to the side of the main dining area - the Modernism West Gallery - and enjoyed a wonderful meal in a quieter, less crowded space. This space featured not only a film projected high on a white wall - the classic, Caberet, on this particular night - but also an interesting collection of modern art. There were six tables in this area with one waitress, who was busy, but still provided excellent service without constantly interrupting our meal.

We started with cocktails from the wonderfully innovative cocktail menu, followed by baked lavender goat cheese on a fig leaf with baguette toast. It was delicious. I continued with the cheese while my husband had a kale and avocado salad with house made mozzarella. He's not the biggest fan of kale, but loved the salad. For a main course, I had the King salmon, which I can never resist when it's in season. It was accompanied by crispy prosciutto baby artichokes and a white bean puree with basil and aioli. All of the flavors combined perfectly and paired most excellently with a California pinot noir. My husband had the Kobe steak and pronounced it delicious. For dessert, I had cardamom creme brulee and my husband had Valrhona chocolate pot de creme. Both were excellent ways to end the meal.

The atmosphere here is lively, but also relaxed. We spent about two hours enjoying our drinks and food, and felt the service was well-timed and attentive, but as noted abouve, unobtrusive. Dinner at Foreign Cinema was one of the highlights of our recent trip to San Francisco.

• Visited May 2013
Campbell, California
“Simply the best.”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've spent many blissful mornings that morph into afternoons here. Every single thing they do is infused with incredible style and beauty. I don't mean to insinuate that style is all they've got, either; the menu is impeccable. Drop everything and go there. Now.

• Visited April 2013
Houston
“Fab dining under the tent”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Glorious small plates that we shared were more than enough to satisfy. Don't miss the incredible desserts! B&W movies play on the outside wall even as you sit protected under a 25-ft clear tent. Excellent bar menu

Visited May 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Very cool and very good”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Went for Sunday brunch and it was awesome. Although it was very crowed service was impeccable and food quality superb. Very imaginative menu and tterrific eclectic wine list. And very reasonably price for the quality.

• Visited May 2013