“Great Japanese food, wonderful service”

Sanraku Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 5,741 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Austin, Texas, United States
“Great Japanese food, wonderful service”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

While staying near Union Square, my wife and I went looking for Japanese food for dinner. There are no shortage of well-regarded small Japanese restaurants in the area, but we're not fans of sushi (though we both love sashimi) and every place we went into seemed to have grilled foods on their menu only as an afterthought. Sanraku, however, had a very appetizing menu for hot dishes in addition to their substantial sushi menu, and so we popped on in. And not a moment too soon, as the small place was quickly filled with a line out the door - obviously a popular spot. I was in the mood for some fine sake, and Sanraku had a substantial sake menu. The waitress was very helpful in narrowing the choices to my taste, and even offered to let me taste a couple before deciding. Yummy. She also explained the overflowing-glass-in-a-box service, which I had never seen before: good luck! My wife and I both chose teriyaki beef, which was grilled to perfection and served with miso and salad. For just $4 more we had a combo with a sashimi plate that had both white and red tuna. The fish was so fresh, tender and flavorful - fabulous. Throughout our dinner the service was impeccable: friendly, attentive, unobtrusive - this despite a very busy restaurant. Two waitresses attended to us, but they seemed to have one mind, and traded off duties seamlessly. We visit San Francisco every year on business, and I think we'll be sure to revisit Sanraku every time.

• Visited December 2013

Orlando, Florida
“Very Good Sushi”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Good sushi, will definitely do it again. We went on a Sunday at 5:30pm and got the last available table. It gets very busy, so be patient for food.

We loved the Shrimp Tempura and Green Tea with brown rice taste, kept us nice in warm in the chilly San Francisco area.

• Visited December 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“FRESH sushi!!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was the place to go if you love sushi. I've never had it so fresh and such good quality. The restaurant is crowded (for good reason) and a little noisy...but worth it. Great Saki too. I wish Sanraku was closer to my home:-)

• Visited November 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent Japanese food”
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

We had an outstanding dinner in Sanraku late yesterday evening. The salad was a fresh way to start. The tempura udon, one of my comfort entrees, was perfectly executed. We also ordered rolls and a teriyaki salmon that was great. The service was great, with the waiters and waitress being very friendly. I strongly recommend this place for sushi lovers.

“Perfect take away”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was staying at the 'Joie de vivre' hotel nearby and went to that restaurant 3 times !
As I was on my own, I've only went for a take away. And really enjoyed the food.
I'm not an expert in Japanese food. But wasn't sick the next day, which is a really good sign.
Each time I went, the restaurant was packed and seemed to be a popular place to go.
The staff was friendly and the wait to get the food was reasonable.

• Visited November 2013