“Delicious Sushi/Sashimi in SF Union S area- open for lunch too”

Sanraku Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 5,796 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The place was recommended to us by the concierge at the hotel for lunch.
I had a sushi plate that came with miso soup and a small salad. My sushi selection of 6 pieces contained : tuna, shrimp , halibut, omelet( yes fried eggs sushi piece ) , salmon and one more spicy piece that looked interesting but I can not recall the name.
It all came along with the crab roll.
We also ordered a sushi lunch box with the choice of the fried salmon croquettes ( 3 pieces come with the white dip -those were really good) , choice of avocado cucumber roll ( fresh and delightful ) , sesame chicken ( tasted like Chinese style ) with broccoli . Lunch box looked generous and I liked everything but sesame Chicken.( which was so-so).
My husband had the "package" that included a choice of 3 sashimi and salmon teriyaki .
Over all it was positive experience. They were nice, our food came quickly especially the bawl of rice for my impatient and hungry 2 year old .I liked how they assume we are tourists from abroad and delivered us a note alongside the bill, explaining the tip " policy " :). I didn't blame them for not taking the chances ending without proper tip, at least this was more appropriate way than just adding the tip on the bill as sometimes happens to us.
Atmosphere at the luch time was - pretty much eat and go, as usually is at sushi bars.
A day after we went back to Sanraku for a lunch with friends, and I have to point that chicken teriyaki was excellent so was the sashimi ( so fresh ) and my friends Tofu -appetizer looked delicious!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We found Sanraku through Trip Advisor and were very satisfied with our meal. The fish was fresh and the service friendly. We arrived in S.F., on a Friday evening, so we expected Sanraku to be crowded and it was. Luckily we called about an hour in advance and made a reservation and were seated immediately with a crowd of people waiting who obviously did not make a reservation. We tried the Nigiri sampler and it was fantastic. Black cod, blue tuna, sea urchin & yellow fin tuna. We had to have our Rainbow roll and finished with an unagi roll. All excellent choices. Be sure to make a reservation.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Whenever I visit San Francisco, Sanraku is my go-to sushi stop. It has everything you could want: tremendous, creative, fresh sushi served in a casual atmosphere at tremendous prices. No snobbiness, no pretension, just succulent food reasonably priced. The locals obviously agree, because Sanraku is frequented more by local regulars than by tourists, which can be a welcome reprieve from the daily rush if you are visiting.

Right in the center of town, Sanraku is near Union Square, just 3 or 4 blocks west of the south entrance into Chinatown, so there are lots of other things to do in the area. I have found there to be a wait at high dinner hours, so I always go early if at dinner. I haven't yet had to wait at lunchtime.

Don't be fooled by the informal nature of Sanraku. The sushi chefs are exquisite in their art, and will happily create according to your requests. I have eaten there now on my last three visits to San Fran (sometimes two or three times!), and have not once walked away disappointed. But that isn't saying quite enough -- I have each time walked away deeply satisfied, and even feeling honored, if that's not too corny.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The sushi was some of the freshest I have ever tasted! the service was great in this charming authentic sushi restaurant!

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and i visited this restaurant for the first time because we are both obsessed with japanese food and sushi and needed to have lunch somewhere close to union square where we were shopping. The first time we went we were glad to see that miso soup and a nice little salad come with every meal and they do good lunch deals. The califonia roll was better than the one in Japan Town, was fresh, soft, and melt in your mouth! We returned for lunch therr a few days later, and, although mu girlfriend was still wowed by the sushi, i wasnt impressed with the tempura (veg and prawn) donbori- it was alright, but just a bit plain. All in all though, good value for money and fresh and good food.