“Taxi driver recommended.”
Review of Original Joe's

Original Joe's
Reserve with OpenTable
Original Joe's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #156 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Stockton
Description: Original Joe’s is the quintessential, classic San Francisco dining experience. A fabric of the City for 75 years, it is located in the heart of the historic and majestic North Beach, a mecca for natives, tourists, and culinary aficionados alike. Original Joe’s is the oldest of all existing Joe’s restaurants in the country and is the innovator of what is now nationally known as the “Joe’s Concept”. With its signature red leather booths, legendary smooth cocktails, and renowned Italian American menu, Joe’s has come to signify its own Northern Californian category of food and symbolizes classic Italian American comfort food at its finest.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our Taxi Driver recommended Original Joes for Italian food. He was spot on. Our first dinner in San Francisco was perfect. We saw lots of locals there and enjoyed watching the dogs in their Dog Park across the street. (Missing our Hank so much). I told our Waiter Richard that I can judge an Italian Restaurant by their Spaghetti Carbonara. He told me I was in for a treat. He didn't lie. It was perfect and I ate the entire plate despite my waistline. My wife's veal was the tenderest we have ever had, yes I managed to force down a few pieces after stuffing myself with my selection. This is a great casual Italian restaurant.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've wanted to go to Original Joe's ever since I found a recipe for Joe's Special in a low-carb cookbook. I had the opportunity last week for Sunday Brunch. My sister and I shared an order of Joe's Special and it was more than the two of us could eat. My other sisters shared an order of ravioli and it was also HUGE! The only comparison between my attempt at this recipe and Original Joe's were the ingredients. The restaurant's version was MUCH superior to mine. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal and our mimosas! This restaurant is located in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood, not the Tenderloin district as posted by another reviewer. I highly recommend it. Other reviewers noted that it was loud, but that was not our experience.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went to the new location recently. Once for lunch and once for dinner. The lunch was my preference. The food was great, the ambiance was wonderful and the best part was that I got to meet Mike McCourt, the famous Irish bartender. He was engaging and fun. When we went back for dinner there was no way we could hav a normal conversation. Way too loud. So I will go back but just for lunch n

Reviewed August 27, 2012

The interior is spectacular, and the service was about as good as anywhere. The food, on the other hand, was average Italian. Chicken Parmesan was average, but definitely get the ravioli side dish, which was spectacular. Linguini with Clams didn't seem like it was home cooked, and, while there were clams in the shell on top (a nice touch) half of them didn't even have clams in the shell! Even the dessert was just so-so; chocolate cake that was really dry but an excellent frosting.

If you want to have a conversation at your table forget it; even when the place was only about 3/4 full you could barely hear the other person. On a Saturday night forget it, as we found out.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I am happy to report that the new incarnation of Original Joe's/San Francisco is a winner ! True in spirit to the original " Original Joe's" in the Tenderloin ( one tuff nabe) this slightly upscale version retains all the flavor of the original incl a counter for single diners ( a travelling salesman's delight) a performance ballet by the line cooks ,a charcoal grill, and well food that's
as tasty as the experience is delightful. Expectations: Italian, but it's Cal/Italian meaning those of us used to "back east" Neopolitan style cooking would be advised to adjust our sights and take this on its' own terms. Instead of BV Vineyards, the wines by the glass (eg Cab) are tasty and good accompaniments. Missing on my visit: the Tenderloin denizens @ the counter whose flavor added to the food's flavor-but this isn't the Tenderloin.
Good value, including the entertainment factor, all in all. Ate there 2 of 3 nights while in town and would do it again.