“If you love Dim Sum...”

Yank Sing - Stevenson St.
Ranked #109 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: SoMa
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Yank Sing is pretty conveniently located if you are staying at the Palace. The Dim Sum is great and the service is good too. The price probably more than dim sum in Chinatown but the selections are numerous and very tasty. Great siu mai and han sui go, my favorites. But I also like chicken feet and theirs is pretty good. It is a regular stop for us for an 11:00 lunch when in SF.

1  Thank Lynn273

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is by far the best dim sum place I've ever been to. This has the widest selection of dim sum. I liked the shanghai soup wonton. You have to put this on a spoon and put the entire wonton in your mouth as it has soup inside it. We also had spinach wontons (green colored wonton). All of their shrimp, chicken and pork siumai were so tasty. The spare ribs were so good. Their tofu was good too. We also had the purple cole slaw that was so fresh and crunchy. We sat in the patio where it wasn't so crowded. We got there before 11, before the long line started.

1  Thank CPBGal
Reviewed February 21, 2014

If you love good Dim Sum, you will absolutely swoon for Yank Sing. Chinatown is a “must” destination for me in San Francisco, but this time, based on a strong recommendation from my well-traveled friend, astronaut Dr. Leroy Chiao, I hoofed it from my financial district hotel over to Yank Sing on Stephenson Street. Now, I have gobbled down a myriad variety of these delicious dumplings in Beijing (and other Chinese cities), and in the Chinatowns of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Honolulu, Vienna and Washington, D.C. So, I know whereof I speak when I tell you that Yank Sing turns out the best Dim Sum in the world.

The restaurant presents itself in upscale fashion, with beautiful furnishings and artwork, lots of glass, elegant spaces and a kind of calm despite the requisite small army of steamers and serving carts roaming the aisles. You can see what you’re being offered and get exactly what you want through the time-honored tradition of pointing – Shanghai dumplings, pork dumplings, shrimp balls, rolls and shiu mai, char siu bao, and the hits just keep on coming. I would have liked to see a Chow Fun dish or two, and definitely some green veggies, but in fairness these are available to special order if you can take the time. You order by the item, your server stamps your order card, and the cashier tallies up the damage when you’re done. And do be prepared to pay for this exquisite experience – lunch for two set us back $94 before tax and tip, and I thought we worked our way through the options with a modicum of restraint! Still, it was worth it. If you love dim sum, as I do, you owe it to yourself to experience Yank Sing.

And, a plug for the people-watching here – lots of elegant people from all over the world streaming in and out of the restaurant. Well, if an astronaut recommends the place, what else would you expect!?

1  Thank Holokauahi
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

This is one of my favorites to take clients. They love the unique quinine and the service is great. Fresh food good atmosphere Alexandra Fuentes no one is in a hurry to leave.

1  Thank Rgf49er
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I consider ourselves fairly sophisticated having visited and dined around the world
We are familiar with dim sum having ordered it hundreds of times in NYC, SF; Shanghai; Beiijing and elsewhere
The quality of the dim sum at Yank Sing is excellent.
The deception of the serving staff is despicable!
We asked for single plate orders of shrimp shumai and pork potstickers
When we saw their were 6 pieces on a single plate we asked if it was a single order and whether we could half 3 pieces and mix in an alternative of the same price.
We were told we could not.
When the check came we were billed for 2 orders of each type of dim sim ordered. When we asked for explanation from the on-duty manager we were asked-- how many pieces were on each plate. We recounted exactly what we asked of the server and were told we were given double orders and were charged accordingly.
Suffice to say that despite the quality, we will not return.
Our advice is- Confirm up front what you will be charged for!!