“Yes, I'd go there again...”
Review of Daily Grill

Daily Grill
Reserve a Table
Mon, 9/23
8:00 PM
OR
Ranked #619 of 6,502 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Powell St.
Transit: Three blocks from the Powell Muni Bart station and the 38 Geary
Description: Conveniently located one block from Union Square near the Westin St. Francis, Daily Grill is a moderately priced steakhouse that features classic American dishes made from scratch. The extensive menu features timeless favorites and unique preparations to suit all tastes while providing unrivaled hospitality and stellar service. In a comfortable, yet upscale environment, Daily Grill serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The bar is a favorite stop for Happy Hour seven days a week, from 3pm - 6pm, where craft beer and hand-crafted cocktails are paired with eclectic appetizers. Modeled after the great San Francisco grills of the '30s and '40s, it is an ideal spot to dine or drink while shopping, enjoying a night out or for a great meal before a show.
Reviewed July 14, 2019

Staying in the Handlery on Union Square after arriving on long-haul flight few hours earlier, decided to eat in the Daily Grill on ground floor of the hotel. It was a really good experience - very nice staff, lovely manager and beaut decor with a truly vintage feel - the hotel has been owned and run by the Handlery family since 1927 and the decor reflects the history. Knowing the meals (like elsewhere in the US) would likely be large, we only ordered mains ('entrees' in US!) and they were really good. Traditional meatloaf with mashed potato, gravy and side of grilled asparagus was really tasty; trout amandine equally good - nice variation on the usual, with panko crumbs and almond flakes one side of the two generous fillets of fish and natural skin on the other side - very tasty. The sides were humungous - the biggest baked potato ever seen (Yukon apparently) and a huge serve of grilled broccoli - great but a bit too much!!
On second visit a couple of nights later chose a soup and appetiser each - very good Manhattan clam chowder and jumbo lump crab cake, and beef and mushroom soup with barley, followed by popcorn shrimp - all very tasty and not too huge!
Would definitely recommend the Daily Grill and would certainly return if in SF again.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank Tony W
Write a reviewReviews (1,466)

Reviewed July 12, 2019

We had an excellent dinner at The Daily Grill made even more special by our waitress Femi,such a genuine, enthusiastic person!Great asset to the restaurant.
Ann from Ireland

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank annlynch27
Reviewed July 11, 2019

Service was a little slow. Once ordered our food took a fair amount of time. We had to go and ask for more drinks.
Not impressed after the long wait food was warm not hot.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed July 5, 2019 via mobile

Fantastic traditional San Francisco bar. Excellent atmosphere and service from Corwin. Must visit on a trip to this city. Thanks Corwin

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 19, 2019

We went for our last evening in San Francisco, walked in, looked lovely and I thought the staff were friendly enough.

Sat down and ordered, the starter was lovely, however that is wher it ends.

I ordered fillet minion, to be cooked “Well done” I started eating it and it was lovely however the second cut revealed it had been cooked the same as my husband’s - medium rare. I could not eat it. Although I understand chefs don’t like it cooked well done I don’t like it undercooked and as I am paying I think I chose how my food is served.

The waitress came to clear the plates away looked at the barely touched steak and made no comment, I would have hoped she would have had the decency to ask why I had not touched it but no comment was made.

We asked for the bill, I gave my credit card and she took it and walked away. I immediately got up to follow her and she went off into the kitchen. I was not happy with this. How dare anybody take somebody’s credit card off with them in this way, When she came out she stopped at another table before eventually going to sort out the payment. She was not happy by my following her and less happy when she asked which tip I wanted to leave her. I told her I would pay cash for the tip. She was at this stage clearly unhappy. I was far from happy too, I feel tips are based on the level of service received and I walked out annoyed that I had felt bullied into leaving a higher tip than I would have paid in England.

I am very disappointed by this place.

Date of visit: June 2019