“Good service and pretty good food”

Fino Bar & Ristorante
Ranked #37 of 5,777 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Because we didn't have reservations on Saturday night, I was thrilled to get a seat with my son at the bar and in 20 min we had a table. The staff were very helpful and nice. The food was pretty good, although I agree that the Carpaccio would have been better without the mustard. The pasta we had was good, the flavor overall was good and it wasn't terribly expensive. Nice atmosphere! We enjoyed it.

There are newer reviews for Fino Bar & Ristorante

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The service was nice and efficient and my expectations where high after reading some of the comments at Tripadvisor. I had the Carpaccio di Manzo that according to the menu was thinly sliced raw beef, arugula, capers, lemon & shaved Parmesan cheese. Fine. Carpaccio can be made in different ways but not the way Fino does it. Added to the the ingredients above (that where okay) was french mustard. Which strange mind came up with this idea. The taste of the mustard totally destroyed the possibility to the taste the fine balance between the marinated beef, the cheese and the rest of the ingredients. Totally wasted dish. When i complained I was told that the other guests liked it that way. I guess they never tasted a real carpaccio. As main course i choose Linguine con Cozze e Vongole "in bianco" with broth. One of my favorites. But it was served with very few clams and mainly mussels. The problem is that this dish normally gets its main flavor from the slightly bitter clams and parsley and there where very few of them. The way Fino serves it is it very far from a good Linguine Vongole. I guess mussels are much cheaper than clams and I knew there was mussels i the dish but it was not good. I also tried to find any kind of taste from the clams in the slightly over cooked pasta but I couldn't. I guess the never tossed the clams in the pasta or took care of the juice from the clams when making he broth.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Been here two times, but probably won't go back. It's in a great location and within walking distance to many hotels and the theater. It is a nice restaurant but when I travel to SF, I want a great meal. The minestrone soup tasted too tomatoey. The spinach salad was okay. Hubby enjoyed the prawns and scallops over linguine, but my clam and mussels over linguine could have used some flavor perhaps a little wine or a touch of garlic.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Simply brilliant. I just arrived in SF and didn't feel like searching for far for dinner far from my hotel so I walked in without a reservation and got a place at the bar. Their minestrone was made from vegetables as fresh as my own garden and the linguine frutti di mare was unsurpassed. Their wine list was excellent and the waitstaff is both friendly and professional. I had the best meal of my entire visit to SF here.

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

The positive
Lovely ambience and attentive service. Nice complementary italian bread with balsamic dip. Good house red wine. Daughter and son enjoyed their respective pizza and carbonara, though I would say the carbonara was not particularly authentic.

The not so good
The mozzerella and tomato salad was ok but required salt to bring out the flavour of the tomatoes and more basil. my husbands pasta was lovely but the sauce again lacked flavouring. I had a grilled chicken breast dish, the chicken was over cooked and the roast potatoes looked and tasted like they were warmed up from the previous day and were not pleasant at all.

Thanks
To our waiter who refunded us the price of our drinks as we had a long wait (we hadn't noticed) between starter and main.

I feel the need to be honest as we relied heavily on tripadvisor users for restaurant recommendations on our trip and this is just my opinion of one visit. I have to say the dishes going out to tables looked amazing and other guests will no doubt have had a more positive meal.