“Great Food, Cozy Spot”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We wandered into Fino unannounced on a Friday night and luckily got a table. After we were seated, I heard them telling people that it was over an hour wait.

We had the Bruschetta for an appetizer. I eat Bruschetta often and I think this was the best I've ever had, really delicious. Followed that with a seafood linguine - nice, juicy scallops and big, tasty shrimp in a lovely light garlic/butter/wine sauce. Perfect--I don't eat a lot of heavy, buttery sauces and this was just right. My son had a mixed seafood pasta that was in a tomato based sauce. Also delicious - salmon, scallops and shrimp.

We would definitely eat here again the next time we're in San Francisco.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had a reservation for 7:15 pm and showed up early, as it turned out we were not seated until 7:35. The place is small and very busy and I like that they do not rush customers to leave. Our waiter "Johnny" was terrific in every way, polite, knowlegeable and nuanced? We ordered a medium priced bottle of wine and when we tasted it thought it had a musty taste and was "corked". The waiter took the bottle back and brought another which was perfect. He even said the previous bottle was indeed corked. In my opinion, not the restaurant's fault since it is very common.The tasty bread was served with an excellent herbed balsamic dipping sauce which we enjoyed very much. My wife ordered a house salad that she thought was very good and I had some of the best minestrone I have come across in a long while. Then came the main course, we both ordered off the special of the day menu, my wife ordered fresh Pacific snapper and I ordered the Branzino. The snapper was tasty and moist but a small portion over a sea of bad risotto. My sea bass was said to be a fillet but what I got was three separate pieces, two of which were as small as a quarter inch wide and 2 inches in length. The largest piece was a small tail end and all were overcooked and dry. The accompanying vegetables - a mixture of asparagus, beans, spinach, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes in a nice light sauce were delicious. When the person clearing the table came to remove the plates I asked to speak with Johnny. I showed him the fish pieces and asked him to please pass on my complaint to the chef. When he came back he apologized and said it was what they had left, and it did look like scraps. Without me asking, when the check came the charge for my meal was removed.

I suspect it just may have been an off night since this restaurant was recommended by good friends who have excellent taste, but no chef should send out the dish I was served.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had a very nice quite evening here. The food was very good and well presented and very good table service. If you wanted a quite place to have a very nice meal and evening, this place should be high on your list. This is one restaurant where you could actually talk without screaming.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We ate there on a Saturday night. They made a HUGE deal out of 'allowing' us to have a 7PM reservation. The place was NEVER packed that night. The food was mediocre as was the service. It was the WORST Fettucine Alfredo I have ever had. The waiter never asked why I didn't eat it. Never again...nothing spectacular.

1  Thank Trudymarylouise
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We enjoyed this little restaurant so much that we visited three times during our one week stay in the area. The service was excellent and the portions so big that we often had to share dishes - something that the staff were more than happy to do by bringing one meal out plated up on two separate plates. The food was always fresh, delicious and very reasonably priced. The restaurant is often very busy so it is best to book in advance.