“Not an Italian Restaurant!!”

Fino Bar & Ristorante
Ranked #37 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Hi,
We have just visited Fino last night, and we are so disappointed.
My wife and I shared The Bruschetta which was ok; I had the Veal Saltimbocca and my wife the Ravioli 3 Cheese.
Well I am Italian and nobody there speaks Italian not even the chef!! First Mistake!
The waiters seemed a bit angry maybe too busy when we arrived. Second mistake!
The food is just not Italian. Call it anything but. The food is expensive $25 for a very small portion of Veal and veggies that had probably been cooked and reheated with so much cheese melted I could not see the Veal.
The biggest disappointment though, was the Ravioli. I don't think you can charge $15 for a portion of non-fresh processed Ravioli inundated with cream. Shame on the chef.
Fresh homemade ravioli are delicious and cheap.
Final Bill $80.
We will never return there.

2  Thank 74all

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I had dinner here while traveling for business and chose it based on the great reviews and the fact that it was a block from my hotel (near Union Square). There was a wait for a table for one when I arrived around 7:30, so I opted to sit at the bar which was available immediately. I ordered a Peroni and one of the specials: scallops over risotto with asparagus, mushrooms, garlic and tomato sauce. The scallops were flavorful and tender and the risotto was good but not as flavorful as the scallops themselves. The woman next to me ordered the carbonara, which she shared a bit of, and it was deliciously creamy and slightly peppery. The bartender was friendly and the atmosphere was great. Overall a very nice, relaxed dinner in downtown San Francisco.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Went to dinner here twice, once with family and the second time with a friend. Both dinners were excellent - good food, well prepared and served with attentive, but unobtrusive service. Prices were reasonable and the selections, while not extensive, offered a good range of choices.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We dined at this restaurant based on its extremely high Trip Advisor reviews, and perhaps our expectations were a bit too high. When we arrived at 6:30, we expected to find the restaurant fairly empty, but we were the next to last table to be seated. And a bit later, we heard the hostess tell some folks that the next available spot was for 9:30 p.m. Thank goodness we had reservations! Our waiter was pleasant and competent, but not outstanding in any way. He took a bit too long to take our order, and when I asked for feedback on red wines, saying I liked "oaky" ones, he didn't have any particular recommendations and did not offer tastes of any that were offered by the glass. We very much enjoyed the Bruschetta Carciofini al Olio, which featured artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese, but the Insalata di Rucola disappointed; the pears were diced too finely and there wasn't enough gorgonzola cheese on top to add much pungency. The complimentary bread ironically reminded us of the mediocre bread we ate throughout Tuscany last June, but the herbed balsamic dipping sauce was tasty. Our pasta dishes (Fettuccine con Prosciutto e Funghi and Linguine Frutti di Mare) were good (and extremely hot), but not outstanding. We were too full for dessert and paid $120 for dinner, including tip. Overall, it was a pleasant but not outstanding experience.

1  Thank Alamotraveler
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Nice extensive menu. Small place so get reservations. Food quality was excellent as was the service.