“Great but expensive sushi”

Akikos Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Akikos Restaurant & Sushi Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #348 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Cross street: Mark Ln and Cluade Ln
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I went to Akikos alone for lunch and sat at the sushi bar. I got the sushi sampler, and it everything was very fresh and delicious. Because I was alone, I amused myself by watching the chefs making all of the dishes, and their attention to detail was amazing. They used tweezers to place individual sprouts of micro greens just so on salads, sprinkled just the right amount of some kind of seasoning on a sushi roll, and adjusted fish on plates so it looked beautiful. The care taken with all of the food really showed.

I did not have any of the trouble with not-so-nice staff or finding the restaurant that other reviewers have mentioned. In fact, everyone at Akikos was very nice and attentive to me and the other solo diners around me at the sushi bar. Perhaps it was because I anticipated having trouble locating the restaurant that I had none. There is no outside sign, but it is clearly marked with the street number, and it showed up on google maps.

The only downside of my meal was that it was fairly expensive ($50 plus tip), particularly for a lunch. If I lived in San Francisco, I wouldn't be able to go here often or even regularly, but when I could afford a special treat, I would definitely return.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We wanted an early dinner but had to wait until they opened at 5. There were several other people waiting as well who told us this was the best sushi place around. However, I didn't think it was nearly as good as Marina Sushi where we had eaten two days before. Akiko was pretty average to me, and I did not see what the fuss was about. Prices were much higher than Marina as well.

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I was in San Francisco and had heard about Akikos. I called on a Wednesday and I was unable to get a reservation until Friday and the only reservation they had was either at 5 or 8:45, we took the 8:45. It's true what others have said, it's very small and not marked with a sign. We had to wait 10 minutes even though we were on time for our late reservation. The service was weird, we had about 4 different waiters and all of our items (drinks, soups, sushi, and such) all arrived to our table at the same time after we waited for them for a looooong time. The menu was small but they had a few things I liked. Overall, average experience, nothing special.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

we chose to go omakaze for a midweek dinner at the sushi bar.
I was impressed by the team atmosphere, attention to details and friendly American chef preparing the food for us. Every piece was amazing in taste, well described in content and typically around 10 USD per piece of Sushi.

Well worth it!
the atmosphere is vibrant and friendly, lots of young folks

Reviewed June 18, 2014

While in San Francisco, my husband and I recently had dinner at Akikos. The first thing you need to know is that there is no signage outside the restaurant (it's like a hidden gem!). We made reservations which seem like a must given how few tables the restaurant had. I will say that it was a cool night out, but inside it was hot; uncomfortably hot. Akikos had a nice wine and beer list to choose from (no full bar). The sushi is what we went for though and it did not disappoint! We did a combination of sushi rolls and sashimi which were brought out separately, as they were prepared. The scallop sashimi especially just melted in your mouth; all of the fish were the freshest quality. Overall this was a great place for a nice, relaxing, and romantic sushi dinner that wasn't too expensive either.