“Best Sushi Ever”

Akikos Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Akikos Restaurant & Sushi Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #355 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Cross street: Mark Ln and Cluade Ln
Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you look at my other reviews you will note that sushi is not an uncommon cuisine for me to partake of. My last trip to California, in the San Diego area, left me wondering what all the fuss about California sushi was. This trip answered that question.

Akiko's, so very conveniently located a door from my hotel, was a magnificent find and ranks as the all-time best sushi I've ever had. Everything was fresh, flavourful, and masterfully presented. I travel a great deal for work and always try to visit new places each night I am in a city but Akiko's was so incredible I had to come back for a second and third evening out of my 6 in San Francisco.

From the gently-seared nigiri to the uni bursting with flavour everything was top-notch. I have not a single negative or qualified statement, Akiko's was all-around incredible.

Prices were competitive for sushi, very reasonable. The wait staff is very attentive.

Something I GREATLY appreciated is that my sushi was brought to me one item at a time. My spider roll did not appear until my nigiri was finished, savoured, and the dish cleared and so on. That little touch, something that so many other establishments can't seem to figure out, made my dinners so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

It also speaks volumes that on my final night there I sat next to a sushi chef from another restaurant. If the competition comes to eat at your restaurant, you're clearly doing it right.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This sushi restaurant was good... they have a lot of items on their menu, however I would have liked to see more "rolls" they have a lot of other items but only about 10-12 rolls, which is what I order all the time.
The place was packed and we had reservations so that was great.
They only had Japanese beer on their menu which was disappointing since there are so many better beers than Japanese.
The service was great and the atmosphere was also great.
The sushi took a little longer that I would have liked to.
Overall we had a good dinner but I was expecting more.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

We were craving Japanese food, not necessarily Sushi, and found this gem. Chicken teriyaki and shrimp/vegetable tempura were excellent: fresh, crispy, savoury, sweet. And a great Japanese beer to wash it down. Funky, small room with charming service

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I agree with the poster who said that this restaurant deserves 4 1/2 stars. The sushi itself is awesome--completely top notch. I was with a large group, and we tried a ton of different rolls. Even the basic California and cucumber rolls were fantastic. The service was a touch slow, and one of our beers came out room temperature, but was promptly corrected. I can't imagine there would be another place in the city with much better sushi, so I highly recommend checking this place out.

1  Thank DoctorsK
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My husband and I walked into Akikos just as they were closing after lunch. When the waiter informed us that they were closing and no longer seating anyone the sushi chef summoned us over. She prepared wonderfully fresh and interesting tastings as well as delicious sashimi. The service was outstanding and the food delicious!