“Not worth the endless wait”
Review of Tartine Bakery

Tartine Bakery
Ranked #1 of 115 Bakeries in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Mission District
Reviewed July 3, 2007

This place runs out of croissants before 9am in the morning? They could post signs instead of having people wasting their time in line. What kind of business sees nothing wrong in having so many people outside without rethinking their cashier methods?

2  Thank laurentmg

Reviewed May 26, 2007

Based on reviews I read, Tartine seemed to be the best bakery in SF. I am a baker myself, and enjoy sampling what others have to offer.

For few days before my trip to NorCal, I had my heart set on a good scone. I tried many on my trip, and was only slightly impressed with one from a bakery in Sonoma. But I had high hopes for Tartine.

Once we fonally got there, and once we made it through the 20 minute line, I sampled their currant scone (the only kind they had) and find it to be mediocre.

I was also pleased to find that they had croque monsiers on the menu as I was hungry for breakfast. They were good, but not great.

As a matter of fact, the only things that did live up to the hype, was their croissants. Probably the best croissants I've had in my life. However, that is not enough to warrant another visit, definetly not if I had to wait in line.

1  Thank Rissanela
Reviewed August 14, 2006

It's simply the best. I go there every day and get a fresh croissant. Try it! You can't go wrong.

1  Thank ssspring
A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed November 16, 2005

The only requirement for hotels/B&B's for me in San Francisco is that they are close to Tartine!! I absolutely love them. God has come down and personally touched the creators of the goods served here. I cannot say what my favorite is but you gotta try a mocha with whatever other goodies you get.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 29, 2004

I went here almost every day on vacation, and everything I had was great. I am especially addicted to the morning buns, which feature orange zest so your breath exudes the essence of citrus when you are done eating. I met a man who lives in the neighborhood who is addicted to the lemon tarts. I met another man who owns restaurants in other states but goes to Tartine as often as possible because he knows they will be consistently good.