Tripadvisor

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Mission Dolores
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Didn't;t think it was possible to improve on the NY Pastrami sandwich, but they did it! Pastrami was juicy and lean, the addition of horseradish sauce was a great surprise and the bread was fabulous. Soft in the middle and a hard crust with excellent taste.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed January 18, 2020

We took an Uber from the Wharf all the way up to this bakery because we looked it up and this was to have the best sourdough bread in SF. We had a few questions about the menu and the young man behind the cash register was very curt and seemed very unhappy to have to answer our questions. We took a menu to a table (of which there were very few), he had to swap out the one we took from the counter with a "table top" one (who knew?). Once we decided what we wanted, my husband went up to the counter to order. He didn't see that there was a line up and once he ordered the same young man curtly told him "the process is to use the back of the line". Before my husband ordered he could easily have said, "sir there's a line up if you don't mind getting into it"......

We had:
Pain au chocolat - which they would not heat up for me. It was flaky but would have been better warm with the chocolate melted
Humbolt Fog Goat Cheese Sandwich - tasty and warm. The walnut bread was different.
Pastrami Sandwich - my husband wanted it without the cheese and horseradish. The young man looked at him like he was crazy for changing the menu item
Banana Cream Tart - this was tasty but wasn't the best we have ever had
2 bottles of large water. Turns out the large water is 1 liter. So unless you are very thirsty, order 1 and share. Plus they come in glass bottles without the lid so you can't take them with you.

After we ate, I went up to the counter to order some sourdough (which is why we we made the trip all the way over in the first place!) and they were sold out! What a huge bummer for us!

If I had known they had a store in the SF airport I wouldn't have made the trip all the way over to this bakery to experience they only cranky people we encountered on our trip. None of the staff smiled or seemed happy to be at work at all.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 13, 2019 via mobile

We stopped in at the 9th Avenue venue for a quick late lunch. I had the soup of the day and a salad; my companion had a sandwich. Divine! Soup beautifully garnished. I pinched some bread from my companion’s sandwich - yummy! With time to kill following day, headed back for breakfast. I ordered the smoked salmon; my companion eggs - and we share a croissant just for grins. Wonderful - best croissant have had in years. Not only is food excellent, but staff very attentive.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 11, 2019

Had a very good dinner here although the menu is limited. The bread is outstanding and a must order. They had a nice wine selection but limited liquor choices Noise level is high. Very good service. Very good deserts

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 24, 2019

Tartine bakery has been closed by the health department. For the second time, the health department told them to get rid of the mice and the droppings on the floors and bags of flours . What are we going to do? Sunday morning at Tartine was the highlight of our day and the beginning of it. Oh dear.

Date of visit: November 2019