“Italian for foodies”

Neighborhood: Mission District
new york, NY
“Italian for foodies”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I am so pleased with this find. My dining companion and I happened upon this place during my trip to SF and decided to go in because it looked and smelled promising. Though it was a Monday evening, the place was packed. Luckily, there were two bar seats, which we grabbed quickly (the wait for a table was about 30-45 mins).

First, the wine selection: excellent. I had a glass of prosecco, which turned out to be head and shoulders better than average. My companion had a glass of pinot blanc, which was absolutely delicious, especially with the food we ordered.

The food: superb. We ordered calamari, chicory salad, rock fish pasta, and seafood stew, and all of them tasted fresh and flavorful. The home-made pasta was so perfectly done that my companion raved about it for days. The grilled calamari was both delicate in texture and umami in flavor. The seafood stew had such complex flavors from all the spices in the sauce, which was so beautifully balanced. The dessert was a delightfully light and sumptuous torta, equally well-balanced and delicate in flavor.

One caution. The restaurant, which reminded me of many wonderful NYC restaurants, is very, very packed and the aisles are narrow. There is little space between tables, and the traffic must be negotiated carefully. I had a few narrow-misses every time a server walked by my seat at the bar carrying a full plate or glass. In fact, I heard two crashes (glasses breaking, etc.) behind my back while eating. While it did not take away my appreciation of the place, it did make me wish that the aisles were a bit wider and there were a bit more space between tables.

San Francisco, California
“YUM YUM YUM”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I can't recommend this restaurant more - it is the perfect blend of fresh ingredients and flawless execution. Delfina excels at beautiful preparation of seasonal vegetables and perfectly cooked proteins. If you haven't been, make a reservation now - you'll be glad that you did.

Visited November 2013
Arezzo, Italy
“Busy, good food And atmosphere ”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Delfina! Rather a lovely name in Italian and the place look good from outside do I decided to dinner solo after a long business day. Didn't book do I got a seat at the bar . For me no pasta or pizza outside Italy ( even if I have to say both looked and smelled great) so had roast chicken and mash with a glass of mediocre Pinot blanc at a very high price at $ 22per glass( I sipped it for as long as I could , more or less 4 min ..) service was very friendly and the place bring quite small was really full . I will definitely go back for the food but have water instead!

Long Beach, California
“Eclectic Italian”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Delfina has one of the most interesting menu's I have seen in any Italian Restaurant.We started with Winter Squash Sformato.The dish is like a mousse and is very tasty with the bread they provide.We also had Brussel Sprouts with Hazelnuts and Rosemary...do delicious, I could eat 2 orders for dinner and be happy.I had the Field Green Salad and It was very good.The Spaghetti pasta is freshly made.The Roasted Chicken is nice as well.
You will need reservations...and after dinner go next door to the pizzeria and take home a pizza...we did...lol!
Jessica was our server and she is lovely.Gabriel was her assistant and he is tooo cute for words!

2 Thank PeggyChism
Loyola, CA
“Excellent Mission District Food”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Delfina serves Tartine bread. That alone is good reason to dine there. Yeasty and chewy with a crunchy crust that bread is special. Then there is the excellent pasta--with mint on this visit. Seafood and chops are always simply cooked and seasoned and accompanied by local veggies. The place has a great buzz. The wine list is very thoughtful and mostly reasonably priced. The service can be a bit slow as they are always so busy so relax and enjoy a well paced meal.